• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water Pump Tensioner Pulley?

somesayimemo

New CEG'er
I have a '98 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec.

The water pump went bad and the belt snapped / melted onto the tensioner pulley. None of the local parts shops carry the tensioner pulley so I went to the dealership to get it and they have no clue what I'm talking about. The two gentlemen who helped me said they would need to see a picture since the part is not on any of the diagrams they had.

Is there another name for this tensioner pulley?

I'm going to go back tomorrow with the part (I didn't have it with me today) but from the sound of it, that won't make any difference. They said it would have to be on the diagram to locate it in the stockroom.

Does anyone have a photo / diagram they could post so that I can print it out and take with? How about a part number?

Thank you for any help.

Tim

Does anyone have a photo / diagram they could post so that I can print it out and take with? How about a part number?

How about both, P/N is F5RZ8W508A
$22 from Tousley Ford, just ordered one last week.
Your dealer will probably try and charge you upwards of $50, tell them MSRP is $33.32 and why the price gouging. Usually they will come down in price.

Your local dealer's parts counter guys must have just transferred from the Toy Dept at Walmart. Geez they can't even look up parts on their own fiche right. Probably pulled up a 2.0L motor instead of your 2.5L

diagram:
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/par...5087&callout=4&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Thanks for the help. Its really appreciated. I may as well order the water pump assembly well I'm at it as well. There price is the cheapest I've found. I hope I'm safe in assuming it comes with the hoses.

Tim

Thanks for the help. Its really appreciated. I may as well order the water pump assembly well I'm at it as well. There price is the cheapest I've found. I hope I'm safe in assuming it comes with the hoses.

Tim

Can anyone confirm this? Does the "water pump assembly" for the 2.5 contain the pump, housing, tensioner, gasket, and hoses? I just want to make sure I have what I need before I checkout.

you could just ditch the tensioner and go with a belt like most 3L's have. I did this a few months ago.

It probably will contain the water pump, housing and a gasket. The tensioner and hoses will be a different part number. The manual states the water pump housing bolts are torque-to-yield design, so the bolts stretch when tightened and can't be used again. So I would order new water pump housing retaining bolts.

Back