• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

WATER LEAK!!! Pass side cabin filter seal

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
Ok so my car leaks water into the car on the pass floor board near the ECU scary yes. Its coming from the Cabin filter seal. The plastic box that holds the filter under the cowl. Where do I get a new one what do I use to seal it ect? I pulled the box off and the seal literally fell to peices at my feet was super stiff and brittle. I was reminded because there is a heavy thunderstorm rolling in and I have no way to keep the water out :(

Anywhere that you can buy rubber weather stripping. Autozone sells a bunch of different types and sizes. Remove the old seal and replace with new weather stripping.

I was having the same problem as you. Replaced it with a similar foam/rubber "gasket" and soon the leak was back.

Finally I used a ton of silicon caulk to replace the gasket put it in place, bolted it down and ran a final bead around the outside where the plastic meets the metal. Haven't had a problem with it in years.

Agree, buy some stick on weather stripping and after you squash the new seal to the firewall, run a bead of silicone for extra protection.

You are not putting the sealant on the part of the airbox that comes in contact with the filter...you are just putting sealant on the part of the airbox that comes in contact with the metal on the car. That is the lowest point and its where the water is coming in at.

Back