• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

walbro?

Thickness

CEG'er
so i have a 99 t green with a return style fuel system. I have a walbro 255lph pump for a mustang that i thought was going to be a direct fit but it seems some modifying needs to be done to the bottom portion of the bracket that the pump sits in, does anything sound wrong here? Its a buddies car im workin on and i don't wanna have to replace his sending unit. Ive tried searching but only found results for an fsvt install witch i thought should be close to the same. Lemme know wacha you guys know, thanks

i thought was going to be a direct fit but it seems some modifying needs to be done to the bottom portion of the bracket that the pump sits in
Hey there; you are correct about the base plate. You have to cut it a little so that the larger neck of the walbro sits properly in place. That base plate is very soft metal and is easy to re-shape.

Do you have the L shaped filter or is it rectangular ? .... I ask because some guys had problems with the rectangular filter. That is, when the fuel level in the tank gets below a 1/4, then the pump can suck up air and not fuel. I know that there is another 255L pump that has the same size neck as the stock pump and will accept the more reliable L shaped filter from the stockie ...let us know how you get on ....G.

Well the pump came with the rectangular shaped filter and i was worried about that and obviously the L shaped one isn't gonna fit the larger style neck. With that being said, theirs prop not much i can do about that unless i had the other style pump retaining the factory size neck then? Is their anything i can do without buying the other style pump.

only two things i can think of;

1. ensure that the fuel level doesn't go below a 1/4 of a tank.
2. find someone that is able to swap the barb neck ring of the rectangular filter, to the stockie L shaped filter.

let us know how it goes .... G.

as noted the retainer needs to be modified and the wiring spliced so that it will work. I used the rectangular filter that came with the pump and have not noticed any issues. but then again I have been tending to fill up around 1/4 tank or so as I always seem to put about 10 gal into the car. so maybe I just haven't noticed.

Well thanks gorman and brapple, ill just modify the retainer as needed and install it as it is. Ill tell him to keep it above a 1/4 tank to ensure he wont have any problems. But who knows maybe he wont. Dam i love ceg

if your friend does let the fuel run low and the car stalls out ..... you may have to wait ten minutes for the the airlock to clear.

I tried pressing the schrader valve with ignition switched on to clear the air from the system, but it still took 10 minutes for the fuel system to release the airlock. You might save your battery if you wait and not try to crank the airlock out ... i tried that and it doesn't work either. I think the airlock is in the fuel rail and you have wait for the vacuum on the pressure regulator to fall, so that the regulator can let the air out.

I would definately consider changing the filter neck ring. It is not a seal, just a retaining ring. This could be achieved by cutting the ring from the rectangular filter with an inch of filter material around it. Doing this will allow the bigger ring to be stitched into the stock filter..... worth considering ...GL .....G.

..... been reading some walbro threads;

it was said that the fuel being returned to the tank at high pressure and can be full of air bubbles. This aerated fuel then gets sucked up by the pump causing engine stumbling. It might be good to put a 45* elbow on the end of the return tube to direct the returned fuel away from the filter. hope this helps ....G.

Sorry for the down time gorman, i went with the square shaped filter and ran an elbow on the fuel return and she seems to be running fine. Thanks for your help!

I had him filling at a 1/4 just to be on the safe side for a couple weeks but know the car is down due to the need of a clutch. Once he starts driving it again ill let you know of any problems he has while running the car below 1/4 tank.

I did this swap returnless system. I too had to 'modify' the swirl pot to get the pump to sit but I did end up using the rectangle sock. I was worried about the pump getting starved so I did my best to never go below a quarter tank until one day I wasn't paying attention and the fuel light came on...still ran tight no bucks or hessitations from starvation or air lock. its probably hit or miss and may depend on how the end user gets that filter to lay down in the given space. I'd say your probably all good until you run the tank completely dry.

Back