• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

vct question

ff_drift_lol

New CEG'er
I've been searching the forum for answers but nothing so I apologize if it's been covered already. I wanted to know if it's possible to bypass the vct so my cams stay on the primary lobes. I noticed a way more agressive timing in the lower RPM's and I know ford only added this feature for emissions. I'd like to see what this engine has to offer without the fancy tree hugger stuff. it's a 98 zetec with vct.

ah I wasn't going to get into that until I get a new clutch and flywheel. Is there a way to just "turn it off" without replacing the stock cam gear?

. I noticed a way more agressive timing in the lower RPM's and I know ford only added this feature for emissions. .
VCT is ONLY active during deaccell... how do you notice a more aggressive timing in the lower RPM's, than the higher RPM's. Timing stays the same throughout the RPM range while accellerating., This isn't 'Vtec'

Zetec, vtec, they rhyme, so they must be the same!

But yea, it's for emissions only, it basically creates an EGR without needing a special valve or cloggable passage. Changes the timing a few degrees, no more, when active. The amount that it detracts from performance is negligible, like maybe a fraction of a mpg. It's active during part throttle cruising, as well as decel i believe.

We hear all these horror stories about VCT solenoids going bad, but I think in general its more reliable than EGR. If you really really wanted to get rid of it, you could get that cam gear kit and possibly a 96-97 ecu.

Last edited:
The only reason my solenoid went bad was from me putting in the adjustable cam gears and the VCT adapter.:blackeye: :laugh:
Zetec, vtec, they rhyme, so they must be the same!

But yea, it's for emissions only, it basically creates an EGR without needing a special valve or cloggable passage. Changes the timing a few degrees, no more, when active. The amount that it detracts from performance is negligible, like maybe a fraction of a mpg. It's active during part throttle cruising, as well as decel i believe.

We hear all these horror stories about VCT solenoids going bad, but I think in general its more reliable than EGR. If you really really wanted to get rid of it, you could get that cam gear kit and possibly a 96-97 ecu.

so that would explain why I barely hear my exhaust during deceleration and down shifting. I guess since I figured it worked like vtec I tricked myself into thinking I felt a difference. The whole time I thought I did something wrong with my catback too haha. Bummer, I was looking forward to having "better stock cams".

where is that old thread??

where is that old thread??

Just pull the connector!

Of course you will get a code since exhaust timing will not be correct.

this reminds me..there was a thread somewhere that someone mentioned the ohms that a good solenoid should read...can't find it please help guys..i got an idea that i wanna try on my vct, if it works i'll post a how-to...but first i gotta find that damn post with the values..i'm want'n to say it was like 5-7ohms, or mabey 5-7Kohms...big diff tho, need to know b4 i can do anything!!:help:

egr vavle passages are only an issue on duratecs .... just shy of 200k on my 95 zetec and the egr system is all original and works correctly as far as I know

egr vavle passages are only an issue on duratecs .... just shy of 200k on my 95 zetec and the egr system is all original and works correctly as far as I know

Except nearly everything on your car (besides wear items) is original and works correctly :crazy:. But I must admit that I have yet to have an EGR problem :shrug:.

this reminds me..there was a thread somewhere that someone mentioned the ohms that a good solenoid should read...can't find it please help guys..i got an idea that i wanna try on my vct, if it works i'll post a how-to...but first i gotta find that damn post with the values..i'm want'n to say it was like 5-7ohms, or mabey 5-7Kohms...big diff tho, need to know b4 i can do anything!!:help:

om not sure how you plan to do that, VCT is a advance/retard system that works on on/off or open/close valve that sqwerts oil into a chamber, advancing the gear. HEAVILY search the zx2 site teamzx2.com and you might find the one guy on there that tuned his vct system. But from what i got from other members he is a dick to newbies on the site and the thread is long gone.

om not sure how you plan to do that, VCT is a advance/retard system that works on on/off or open/close valve that sqwerts oil into a chamber, advancing the gear. HEAVILY search the zx2 site teamzx2.com and you might find the one guy on there that tuned his vct system. But from what i got from other members he is a dick to newbies on the site and the thread is long gone.

i was thinking more along the line of a mil iliminator (sorta) so that you could replace cams without changing the ecc...trick it to think it still had a load under it so it isn't just an open connector....mabey i'm missing something..just an idea

i was thinking more along the line of a mil iliminator (sorta) so that you could replace cams without changing the ecc...trick it to think it still had a load under it so it isn't just an open connector....mabey i'm missing something..just an idea

:help: :shocked:

Ok so the ECU only uses the cam sensor, to tell it where the cam is. The ecu uses this information with its load calculations ect. To say where it wants the cam to be. There is an adapter and after that a tune and vct does not work anymore. How ever you will still be unable to swap in a new cam. Why you will be asking? :shrug:

Please visit this link for more info:
http://teamzx2.com/index.php/topic,41085.0.html

so in short, you can put a new intake cam on with no issues. But you will need a focus head for a new exhaust cam

The PCM won't "sense" that the VCT solenoind is disconnected. What the PCM looks for is what the timing is from the exhaust cam sensor.

The only way to simulate the VCT system would be to have a circuit that delays the timing signal from the cam sensor when the VCT solenoid is activated.

It would be cheaper/faster/more reliable to just contact Tom or Joey and get an XCAL to tune it out.

HTH,
BP

Back