• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ugh I HATE rust!

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
I just noticed my driver's side door at the bottom where cars always rust is rusting. It is pretty well along too, what I get for not checking every few weeks during winter... I also found some on the rear pass door but that is just starting to bubble. An air grinder, some rust remover and then some silver paint will hopefully prevent the back door from getting any worse... Looks like I'll get "lucky" and only have to worry about 1 door before I move out of the northeast where the roads are salted like mad every year and down to a warmer area of the country that doesn't see much/any snow.

Is there anything that we can do to prevent the rust other than the obvious washing and cleaning? I guess now it is off to hunt down a new driver's side door. The only saving grace to all this is that it looks like it'll take all of 15 minutes to swap a door out thanks to the quick disconnects for the wiring.

Back