• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

turbo help

myconsvt

CEG'er
ok, well i am planning on dueing a 3.0 turbo. but i have a problem with turbo set ups could anyone help me out with how to run the wastegate, and bov. and were would be the best way to get the car tuned?

have you done enough research on turbos to know how everything operates?

thats what i have been trying to figure out i have search online but i am having trouble. i know how the turbo itself works but not so much the wastegate and bov. i am mainly looking for a diagrahm of how the are run in the system a drawn pic would work fine.

Last edited:
myconsvt, I think that you have a lot of research to do before you try to take up a project like this. There have only been a couple known custom turbos on contours and the builders obviously have the fabrication skills required and the brains to do it. The waste gate is a device that vents exhaust gasses either back to the down pipe or they're just dumped into the atmosphere to keep the boost levels at their desired ranges. The waste gate needs to be positioned somewhere close to the the turbo to prevent boost creep. Again, without a kit, this is going to be extremely difficult to do without the required welding skills or you're going to need quite a bit of money for labor to get it done. The BOV is normally positioned close to the throttle body to prevent back pressure from messing up your turbo. You need a vaccum line running from the BOV so it knows when to vent. I think you need to do a lot of research and maybe you need to reevaluate your abilities to do this project because the task is not easy. Good luck with the build.

myconsvt, I think that you have a lot of research to do before you try to take up a project like this. There have only been a couple known custom turbos on contours and the builders obviously have the fabrication skills required and the brains to do it. The waste gate is a device that vents exhaust gasses either back to the down pipe or they're just dumped into the atmosphere to keep the boost levels at their desired ranges. The waste gate needs to be positioned somewhere close to the the turbo to prevent boost creep. Again, without a kit, this is going to be extremely difficult to do without the required welding skills or you're going to need quite a bit of money for labor to get it done. The BOV is normally positioned close to the throttle body to prevent back pressure from messing up your turbo. You need a vaccum line running from the BOV so it knows when to vent. I think you need to do a lot of research and maybe you need to reevaluate your abilities to do this project because the task is not easy. Good luck with the build.

well i know that i have the abilities to do the project since my old job was a welder, on semi's. and my job for the past 3 years has been a tech @ southfield chrysler jeep. plus in high school i placed 3rd in a welding comp that was held for all local vocational schools. i just need the help with the wastegate routeing i did some research on it and i have a good idea now.

well i know that i have the abilities to do the project since my old job was a welder, on semi's. and my job for the past 3 years has been a tech @ southfield chrysler jeep. plus in high school i placed 3rd in a welding comp that was held for all local vocational schools. i just need the help with the wastegate routeing i did some research on it and i have a good idea now.

That's great if you know how to weld....it's tough skill, but you should do some general turbo searching and look at a lot of the OEM turbo systems on cars. The wastegate and BOV are pretty basic principles of a turbo system. The fact that a turbo compresses air is not enough for you know.

If you understand each component of a turbo system...then you will know how to route everything.

yeah i ended up going out to my polebarn and looking at my dads turbo no his truck so i now know how to route everything. i see that the wastegate can either dump into the atmoshpere or into the exhaust past the turbo, and it has to be mounted in front of the turbo. the blow off valve is mounted right before the t/b and both are controlled by vacuum line coming from the intake manifold. this is my understanding. so correct me if anything i gave said is wrong please.

Back