• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TR6's dont like the cold i think.

Tourige

CEG's Resident Jackass
Installed the TR6's this summer when i was doing my nitrous, the car ran great. No surging, no misfire. was great. Latly the weather has been getting colder.. and im starting to notice things.. Like today was the first snowfall and maybe my car is just mad.. but its starting to surge. like i can be cruising around the parking lot in 1st with the same amount of throttle, then all of the sudden the RPM's jump up 500 RPMS and the car is driving itself(fun!)

Also the car likes to surge the RPM's when at idle.

Car runs great WOT or 1/4+ throttle.

I might switch them out with some stock heat level plugs and see if that changes anything.

a bit premature??

a bit premature??

Well why don't you switch them out and see what happens before you just call it the plugs? It seems like there could be other issues too.
If it is the plugs it could be that your heat range is one step cooler with the TR6 (I think that's right)

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree that they don't perform as well in cooler weather when they are already a step cooler.

That is correct. Running 1 step colder plugs definitely hurts cold weather idling and light load conditions. Expect mpg to drop during these times because of inefficient fuel burn. I would run normal heat range plugs. Only put in 1 step colder plugs if you are going to run a 100+ shot, that specific day. The other 99.99% of the time the colder plugs are hurting your engine's efficiency.

Well why don't you switch them out and see what happens before you just call it the plugs? It seems like there could be other issues too.
If it is the plugs it could be that your heat range is one step cooler with the TR6 (I think that's right)

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree that they don't perform as well in cooler weather when they are already a step cooler.

My AFR was jumping from 15.0 to 16.2 when it surged.

I've got brand new Magenecores and my Coil pack is pretty new.

Ill switch out the plugs, i dont plan on spraying in the snow anyways..

Last edited:
mine just started doing this when it got around 20 degrees Farenheit. it happens to me at about 2500-3000 it surges a bit i can feel it just a little bit especially when i'm just cruising in 5th gear on the freeway....i'm gonna leave mine in because i'm storing the car this winter :)

Back