• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

torque converter and pilot compatibility question

compudude86

CEG'er
Alright, Im planning soon to go to the junkyard and pull an ATX out of a newer car, hopefully lower mileage. This is only temporary, maybe a year or so, until i can do some rebuilding. I plan to also get a torque converter with it, preferrably still connected to the ATX.

I have read that I have to match the TC to the code on the "pilot", what pilot is this? It mentions teeth, so im thinking its on the ATX side? Or is this pilot on the engine side of things? How would I swap these pilots (or remove the matching one at the junkyard) if this is engine side?

Ok, I think I found my own answer, I found a site referencing the "pilot code", and it seems that the compatibility was between the 2.5L CD4E and the 2.0L "Jr. CD4E".

But now, my next question, is the pilot on the 3.0L taurus for the AXOD compatible with the CD4E torque converter?

Absolutely not, two totally different transmissions.

The 'pilot' is the small snout that sticks out of the converter center to insert in the back of the crankshaft. There will be a letter stamped on it, in my case ('98 zetec 4) the letter was 'A'.

Pilot is welded to converter, you cannot separate it. Converters are pretty much specific to their respective transmissions.

Back