• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Today is a good day.

No starting issues, BUT my clutch isnt happy till she warms up. 1st and 2nd is rather stiff.

i remembered with the svt how gummy the tranny was when cold. the honda is wierd, there is no resistance in the cold. im not use to it. the svt alwys started, and the honda has, but seems to have a harder time. my olds was the best... probably cause it had no compression anymore :p

Does anyone else have the moosing fix out in this cold weather?

When I fire my car up it starts fine, but almost seems like it's being choked out. The RPM kinda stumble around 5-700 for probably twenty seconds before it revs up close to 1500. I've never had to deal with winter in the Contour so I'm not sure what to expect :eek:

Does anyone else have the moosing fix out in this cold weather?

When I fire my car up it starts fine, but almost seems like it's being choked out. The RPM kinda stumble around 5-700 for probably twenty seconds before it revs up close to 1500. I've never had to deal with winter in the Contour so I'm not sure what to expect :eek:

after puting mine in, i never took it out. occationally, when it was cold like this, it would start, run, then sputter and die. then i would start it again and do what you described.it rarely happened though.

when your contour did that wail the first time, what did you think? it scared the crap out of me!

Haha...these past few days have been kinda brutal on my car. I am in need of a new battery soon that's for sure. This time of year I always carry a charged jump pack with me though just to be safe.

As for the moosing thing, I have an aftermarket intake so I don't have that little moose canister. I did the mod tho where you take the brass pipe cap and drill a hole in it - then put it in that hose that is between the intake and the IAC (I think.) My car hasn't moosed once since then and my idle is great ALL the time, even in the cold.

after puting mine in, i never took it out. occationally, when it was cold like this, it would start, run, then sputter and die. then i would start it again and do what you described.it rarely happened though.

when your contour did that wail the first time, what did you think? it scared the crap out of me!

Well the Contour has never done it :p But the Cougar did scare me a bit :laugh: I only have the copper plug fix in it (I'm thinking a new IAC would really be the way to go though)

As for the moosing thing, I have an aftermarket intake so I don't have that little moose canister. I did the mod tho where you take the brass pipe cap and drill a hole in it - then put it in that hose that is between the intake and the IAC (I think.) My car hasn't moosed once since then and my idle is great ALL the time, even in the cold.

I'm not referring to the canister I'm just talking about the brass cap fix. I don't think the IAC is able to get enough air into the manifold when I first fire it up. I think maybe I'll open up the hole a little bigger and let it readjust. I've always got another cap :D

Yeah, I actually ended up drilling the hole a little bigger than the howto instructed. My car was suffocating at first but since I redrilled it I have had no problems at all.

Yeah, I actually ended up drilling the hole a little bigger than the howto instructed. My car was suffocating at first but since I redrilled it I have had no problems at all.

Yeah I'm sure it's different for every car, I have the non-svt UIM and TB on the cougar so that makes a difference on how big the hole needs to be from what I've come across. I'll punch it out a bit more and see if it improves :cool:

Back