• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tinting tails

alien_yet_familiar

Hard-core CEG'er
I want to tint the tails and reflector on my SVT but want to do it in a way that is easily reversible. I have experimented on some extra parts with nightshade spray and really don't care for the matte look. I also want to make sure that I get an even shade across all three pieces and my skills with the spray are not that awesome. I'm also really not excited to sand it off if I screw it up.

I have, as an experiment, put on a cheap static-cling 20% tint (made for windows) on all three pieces, and it looks pretty good from about 10 feet. It's got a few imperfections around the edges where the curve is the sharpest. I'm also pretty sure that the first raindrop that hits the tint will make it fall off.

So I've been searching around for a vinyl tint product that is designed specifically for taillight application. I've found a lot of different products and was wondering if anyone has had any good (or bad) experience with any specific products.

clear coat over the nighshade gives it a nice glossy look. Its also not too hard to sand off, I had to do it a few times with mine.....I didnt realize how thin it was, first coat was a little runny.

this is 3 LIGHT coats of nightshade and 3 coats of clear
DSCF1351.jpg

SAM_0359.jpg

i used the night shades on mine. i put about 5 coats on cuz i wanted it black. & if you want a gloss look to it clear it then buff it. & the night shades comes off pretty eazy with GooGone if you mess up. its not hard to do. just make complete passes across the whole thing & do light coats. if you keep going over it while its wet thats how u get drip marks & it blots up. do a thin coat, let it dry for a lil bit then do another, & so on till u get it dark as you want it. i wouldnt go more than 3 coats on the tail lights thou. otherwise your lights wont be that bright. you just have to have patience with it & dont rush it. if you would like 1 done for you i have an xtra reflector that i just got done cleaning up & was actually going to spray it. i will sell you that 1 for like $30 +shipping. here was mine on my other svt i did, i also did the reverse lights on it.
031.jpg
035.jpg

as you can see they have a gloss to them not a flat or matte finish

I'm thinking that I'm going to go with this product:

http://www.rvinyl.com/tail-light-tint-dark-smoke.html

At 37%, it's a little lighter than the 20% I have on there now (which looks ok but is a little darker than I want it to be). It's designed for tail lights, so it should hold up fairly well. I think I'm going to get a 24"x48" roll, run me about $40 with their application fluid. I will post up pics when I get it and install it.

Back