• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

third gear grind longevity

ToasterOven

CEG'er
Been a while since I been on here.

Okay, so im helping a friends lady friend buy a car, and the best one so far is a 98 2.5 with the MTX and 180K some miles or so. The only problem I can tell is the slightest grind when shifting into third. I searched. And I know what the problem most likely is, the synchro. My question is how long can the trans be used in this condition and how much could one expect to pay to get the tranny rebuilt? I understand exact pricing is impossible, I'm just looking for a rough guesstimate.

Oh, and the motor stumbled at low rpm till it was driven a few miles. My guess it was parked for a while and just had to relearn itself or something. I understand this is the transaxle section, but just thought I'd drop that in there and see if anyone had thoughts on that as well.

price to rebuild is going to the cost of the rebuild kit plus labor. rebuild kits for the MTX75 are typically around $600.

I drove my '95 MTX for 90,000 + miles with a 3rd gear grind and it never failed. Just had to granny shift 3rd to avoid the crunch, no biggie.

2nd Gear synchro is shot

2nd Gear synchro is shot

Mine has a grinding 2nd gear synchro :( I really H-A-T-E tranny probs . . . wish it was 1st gear, as I can start OK from a standstill in 2nd.

Mine was "chiping" on quick shifts, I granny it for the most part but, it seems to come and go. Shifts solid when I have my foot through the radiator. :)

For everything about 1 grand. But some people won't touch a transaxle cause they never seen one. My 3rd grinds if I don't shift slow. So I think as long as you don't grind it will be ok for a few years maybe

driving with a worn syncro for years might be causing more damage then if it just address and fix when it starts happeneing, just keep that in mind.

Back