• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

the dream turbo/street cam

PuckPuck

CEG'er
Hypothetically speaking, I'm able to get a cam ground to any specification I desire....

What in your humble opinions would be a perfect turbo/street cam. Engine must still idle smoothly below 1000rpm, and be ready for an onslaught of t3/t4 goodness on 3L of displacement.

what about lift, or duration? Should they get stretched out, and how far.
Intake opening at or a touch before TDC. (before TDC increases drivability and throttle response)
Minimal to no overlap (some is actually beneficial)
Fast ramps but normal lift specs
Average duration.

The exhaust cam can be of longer duration to help expel the extra gasses. It can even open a touch earlier (thus longer duration) to help expel the previous "spent" gasses in exchange for fresh air/fuel charge. This also sends extra energy into the exhaust piping to spool the turbo.

Duration is just an afterthought measurement of your valve timing points. The valve timing points are what drives any camshaft profile.

Ouch! Does that kit really make you run a smaller P/S pulley???
If so, that will really crank up the parasitic drag above 4000rpm. The P/S pump is already the unit with the greatest FEAD drag. (A/C not running of course)
Also how well/long will the pump survive being spun that much faster?

There is room to install custom crank pulleys, why not just install a cogged crank pulley since the crank is the strongest item and then use an idler or tensioner setup?

Hell, steal one of the newer electro-hydraulic power steering systems from a different newer car and ditch the PS pump entirely.

Ouch! Does that kit really make you run a smaller P/S pulley???
If so, that will really crank up the parasitic drag above 4000rpm. The P/S pump is already the unit with the greatest FEAD drag. (A/C not running of course)
Also how well/long will the pump survive being spun that much faster?

If I'm not mistaken, that kit comes with a new P/S pulley, but really it's just a double stacked pulley setup. the stock pulley size is there, and this adds another pulley stacked onto it which is used to drive the compressor

Back