• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tensioner pulley tool--I can't find one to work--either too wide or too long.

Dr. Vitriol

New CEG'er
Trying to put on a new serp belt on my 98 Contour 2.5. As we all know, there is not a lot of clearance there to get the 3.8 inch drive on the tensioner pulley. I have a 3/8 inch breaker bar and a tensioner pulley tool, but neither one will work. The breaker bar is too wide by about a quarter inch and the tensioner pulley tool I have is too long and can't hang straight down. What tool did you all use to move the tensioner pulley?

I use one of the belt tools, it's a flat bar probably 3/4" wide with a 3/8" end. Usually you have to flex it away from the motor a little bit and against the passengers side motor mount but it'll work. Easiest way I've found is to get the belt in place on all pulleys except the power steering pulley and use it to install/remove the belt.

Huh, I've always been able to do it with a standard craftsman 3/8" ratchet. Sometimes a little hassel getting the wrench out when done.

Maybe loosen the motor mount a bit to allow the engine to move toward the drivers side for a bit more clearance?

I bought an approx. 13" rocking head 3/8" ratchet and works great. Some of the cheaper tools are thicker to make up for strength, so be careful purchasing.

I have a little socket cheater that I use. It's a 3/8" drive on the end, but a 9/16" hex on the other and is only about an inch long. Using that I can slip on a 9/16" wrench, doubled up with a 5/8" wrench to get some leverage and away I go.

Yeah, you pretty much need to go buy/rent the tool ....

Well, I can't get any of my several 3/8 inch drive ratchets in there and my flat tensioner pulley tool wont flex enough to work, so I am willing to 'rent'/buy the tool. So----what is the tool you are referring to? Is there a Ford tool for this job?

I just used mine 2 days ago......

You use the flat bar, with the wratcheting wrench, with the 3/8" drive insert shown below.
This is what I have:
http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-leads/354998/Serpentine-Belt-Tool.html
Serpentine_Belt_Tool.jpg

This looks like a good idea. Take a 1/2" rod and flatten/grind it out to 3/8" square but you would have to have the flat spots in the perfect location to get the full swing of the bar:
images

Sounds like your going in from the bottom...have you tried going in from the top? Ratchet worked fine for me. I used a pipe around the handle for a little extra length

Sounds like your going in from the bottom...have you tried going in from the top? Ratchet worked fine for me. I used a pipe around the handle for a little extra length
I looked at it from the top and thought about that for quite a while. The tensioner pulley tool doesn't have enought swing (rotation) room because it is so wide. I am thinking of grinding down an old ratchet woodsville style and getting it over with. But I've got to get the oil pan off first to fix that *&%#*@! leak.

I've never used anything other than a standard 3/8" ratchet and come in from the top side. :shrug:

I didn't even know they made a tool for this. I thought it was designed with a 3/8" opening for that reason.

I've seen some cars where that can be done with a standard 3/8" ratchet from the top. Mine is not one of them. The tensioner pulley is too close to the inner fender/chassis to fit a wrench in between. I have had success with a 3/8" breaker bar, since the head is more compact.

I didn't think there would be that much variance in production specs and tolerances, but it is significant.

Personally, I just use a broom handle to push the tensioner pulley from behind the passenger's headlight. Ghetto, but it works.

i couldnt fit my wrench in there....i had to weld some things together to get down there

I can't fit my wrench in there either, that's the only reason I bought the kit.

Also, mmc757, you are showing pictures of a NON CONTOUR timing cover and tensioner pully location, so that is not correct for most of us.

I used two combination wrenches to move the tensioner when I replaced my alternator. Probably about time I bought the correct tool though...

Back