• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TB difference, auto vs mtx

m1a rocks

CEG'er
I just picked up a used 2.5 l engine to install in my 96' se w/mtx. Both engine and car are the same year. The engine was from a automatic trans.
Besides the cable connectors, are there any difference in the two?
My car has trac control and I might want to delete it.
I have a cable from an automatic and wondered if I can use the tb from the auto or do I need to find a cable from a car with a manual trans?
Thanks, Brian.....................

Last edited:
Thanks. I knew I could just swap the uim and tb from the other engine. the problem is that I was going to disable the trac control. I don't like the idea of having about 6' of throttle cable.
I have a collection of regular cables for the auto tb. When I see them at the scrap yard I sometimes grab one it in case anyone here is looking for one for a svt tb.
Can I leave the auto tb/intake and tb bracket and just use the correct cable for it? I just don't understand why they used a different setup. Don't make no sense..............

on a side note, I am going to replace the rod bearings on the 2.5 that I picked up and just want to get it on the road. Afterwards, I have a SVT UIM/TB/Bracket to install down the road. I just don't want to start switching a bunch of stuff right away.

They use two different setups to change how much pedal travel opens the throttle body. The MTX TB opens up faster than the ATX one does.

Back