• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tail light LED mod

BlackE1

Veteran CEG'er
Ok so I finally got some time to start working on LED taillights. I found out that the lens is melted or plastic welded to the housing. So not able to bake open like I wanted to. I came to the idea of cutting the back off to gain access to the inside. I cut as much as I could while leaving the three mounting screws attached to the lens so I could still have a solid mounting point.
Ok so once I final got it open big PITA I am not happy with the results, good thing I used a tail light with a cracked lens so no a huge lose.

Here are the images:
Shows how they are melted together

n20303248_32615747_3135.jpg

n20303248_32620682_1486.jpg

n20303248_32620683_1816.jpg

n20303248_32620684_2125.jpg

n20303248_32620685_2442.jpg

Now the reason I want to open it up more then just a circle hole and add a pre made tail light is because I want to create an array of leds to make it different then just a circle. I am not happy with the result and am looking for ideas any of you might have.

Maybe run the light through a bandsaw and follow the curvature of the light so you can have a much easier time resealing the light together :shrug:

Well, then the mounting screws would not be attached to the lens anymore. I wanted to keep them there for placement and I am afraid it might be difficult to get the back attached securely enough so the lens won’t fall off if the two separate again for any reason.

couldn't you just take a dremel with a cutoff wheel to where the lens is melted to the housing and cut it free?

There were two things I thought about and decided not to do what you suggested.
1. There really was not a way to do that with out damaging the outside appearance where the lens meets the housing.

n20303248_32621294_1646.jpg

See the lip that covers the lens and housing where it was melted together.

2. I want to keep the mounting screws attached to the lens.

Last edited:
cant you take a large hole saw and cut the circle big to gain more access, this would allow you to reseal good and leave the studs. All you need to do is slid some leds in there.

Ya that is what I was thinking, it would still be hard to gain full access to put in leds but it’s the only viable solution I see at this time.
Plus as you stated resealing a perfect circle would be easy and not as noticeable as the hack job I did on the one pictured above.

Back