• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT motor in rear wheel drive car?

Motocam360

CEG'er
I just picked up a '99 SVT parts car with a rebuildable motor (no tranny).

I am thinking of rebuilding the motor, possibly super charging it, and dropping it into one of my mitsubishi rear wheel drive cars, which came stock with a 2.5L 4cylinder turbo SOHC.

Has anybody done something like this?
What should I use for a 5spd tranny for the rear wheel drive?

Thanks,

Tim
1998 CSVT

Good Luck..... Try the search button. You wont find much. This is something that is completely custom and probably not worth it when all is said and done.

- amyn

My research of this idea has led me to the Locust forums. good stuff there.
locostusa.com does have lots of good info. im a member there, but havent been for a while as my locost build is on the back burner since im unemployed.

Well, if this bell housing adapter has become available, then you could use a T-5:

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?63776-Bellhousing-Adapter-Coming-Very-Soon&daysprune=-1

I haven't kept up with the progress on that adapter so I don't know where they are at this point.

you could check on their site. its a pricey piece
http://www.quad4rods.com/index.php?...gory_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100041

What's the point? I could see doing this with a clean 3L or even a good low mileage 2.5L (just to be different as there are more cost effective motor swaps I'm sure), but why in the world would you want to rebuild a (bad?) 2.5L motor when the 3L is so readily available, more reliable, same size/weight, and cheaper to get parts for...

I guess it depends what you mean when you say "rebuildable motor"...

What's the point? I could see doing this with a clean 3L or even a good low mileage 2.5L (just to be different as there are more cost effective motor swaps I'm sure), but why in the world would you want to rebuild a (bad?) 2.5L motor when the 3L is so readily available, more reliable, same size/weight, and cheaper to get parts for...

I guess it depends what you mean when you say "rebuildable motor"...

If youve got it laying around doing nothing because you did your own swap, the 2.5 could make a great powerplant for some off the wall project...

I recently saw a craiglist ad for a guy offering to do custom fabwork. He claimed that he could mount any transmission to any motor. Its really not that difficult to someone who has all the right tools...maybe post your own CL ad looking for some custom fab work. Youll need to do some fabbing anyway for mounting points, oil pickup tube modification, etc. As for a transmission, try a local yard with a large inventory...sometimes they have engines and trannys organized on shelves, easy to see. Look for ones that have similar dimensions (or maybe slightly larger)to our bellhousing, then once you have a few possibilities listed, research them to see which are the toughest.

If youve got it laying around doing nothing because you did your own swap, the 2.5 could make a great powerplant for some off the wall project...
Sure it could, but if you're talking about REBUILDING a 2.5L (like the OP) just to put it in a project car, I think there are better options. Specifically a low mileage 3.0L.

thanks for all the valuable input people! This is a big help.

One of the posts said the weight is the same, but what is the HP rating of the 2.5L vs. the 3.0L in stock condition?

I thought this would be a fun project because I already have the rebuildable 2.5, ECU, wire harness, etc, etc..... but maybe the 3.0 is the better motor for this project?

Thanks,

Tim

One of the posts said the weight is the same, but what is the HP rating of the 2.5L vs. the 3.0L in stock condition?

I thought this would be a fun project because I already have the rebuildable 2.5, ECU, wire harness, etc, etc..... but maybe the 3.0 is the better motor for this project?
The 2.5L SVT motor was rated at 200hp/169tq at the crankshaft. The most commonly used 3L Taurus/Sable engines 2001+ are rated for around 200hp/200tq. To do a 3L with the 2.5 ECU/wiring harness you would still need some parts off the 2.5L engine. This varies based on which car the donor 3L is out of, but things like motor mounts, timing cover, alternator bracket, PCV system, etc. If you do it right even with all stock parts you could be up to around 190whp/190wtq (at least through a typical MTX75 and FWD, probably slightly more drivetrain loss in RWD application)

You can check out the 3L section here and read through a few build threads, there are also some useful threads over on NECO (Cougar forum, they share the same platform as the Contour more or less).

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/3-0...-read-first-what-engines-will-fit-my-car.html

This thread describes the difference between the different "types" of 3L engines being swapped into Contours/Mystiques/Cougars
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/3-0...2050-faq-most-your-3l-questions-answered.html

Back