• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT exhaust size and hook up on Zetec

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
not sure where this should go, but since i've been talked into getting a header, i need a bigger size exhaust to put on the car. i was wondering what the size of the SVT exhaust is. also, does it hook right upto the down pipe on the Zetec header. and one last thing, is there a cat on the stock SVT exhaust where the flange is on the bottom? ive also had no luck with npg. i tried contacting both e-mails to get info on a chip for the Zetec and didnt get a response from either.

i'm not sure how much experience joey has in tuning zetecs.

the stock svt catback is 2.25"-2"resonator-2.25" until it Y 's in the back,than its 2". the svt cat is also larger than that stock duratec. and no it won't just bolt to a zetec.

i'm not sure how much experience joey has in tuning zetecs.

the stock svt catback is 2.25"-2"resonator-2.25" until it Y 's in the back,than its 2". the svt cat is also larger than that stock duratec. and no it won't just bolt to a zetec.

do you know what kind of modifications will be needed to make it fit to a zetec?

The SVT exhaust doesn't bolt right up to the Zetec exhaust. If you look under your car, my SVT exhaust is welded up right behind the flange that is after the curve that is after the flex pipe. (Does that make sense? LOL)

SVT exhaust size is 2.25". This makes it PERFECT to slip over the Zetec exhaust and weld. As for getting the SVT exhaust to reach a downpipe from a header, good luck with that. The SVT exhaust falls way short. If you happen to pick up an SVT exhaust with the cat attached, the cat location is approximately where the flex pipe is. This leaves a lot of ground you'll need to cover. Also, you HAVE TO HAVE A FLEX PIPE.

Just some things to keep in mind if you decide to tackle this project.

The SVT exhaust doesn't bolt right up to the Zetec exhaust. If you look under your car, my SVT exhaust is welded up right behind the flange that is after the curve that is after the flex pipe. (Does that make sense? LOL)

SVT exhaust size is 2.25". This makes it PERFECT to slip over the Zetec exhaust and weld. As for getting the SVT exhaust to reach a downpipe from a header, good luck with that. The SVT exhaust falls way short. If you happen to pick up an SVT exhaust with the cat attached, the cat location is approximately where the flex pipe is. This leaves a lot of ground you'll need to cover. Also, you HAVE TO HAVE A FLEX PIPE.

Just some things to keep in mind if you decide to tackle this project.

this might sound really stupid to you, but do i really need a flex pipe? my 89 Tempo didnt have one. Also, can you post up pics of ur exhaust? i'm interested in what it looks like.

this might sound really stupid to you, but do i really need a flex pipe? my 89 Tempo didnt have one. Also, can you post up pics of ur exhaust? i'm interested in what it looks like.

Yes you do. When the motor rocks back and fourth it needs something to flex off of....if you fail to install one, your either going to rip off your manifolds/headers off your car or just break the welds off your exhaust. Either way something is going to break....and you won't be happy.

I'll see if I remember tomorrow while it's on jackstands...

Yes you do. When the motor rocks back and fourth it needs something to flex off of....if you fail to install one, your either going to rip off your manifolds/headers off your car or just break the welds off your exhaust. Either way something is going to break....and you won't be happy.

What he said. Especially if you have older, worn-out roll restrictors...The flex pipe compensates for the rotation of the engine, and the rubber hangers compensate for front and back movement of the engine (which are also a result from the rotation).

I'll see if I remember tomorrow while it's on jackstands...

What he said. Especially if you have older, worn-out roll restrictors...The flex pipe compensates for the rotation of the engine, and the rubber hangers compensate for front and back movement of the engine (which are also a result from the rotation).

Thanks. so where can i get a 2.25" flex pipe or do i just look around? also, i have new mounts on the car all around, and i also wonder why my tempo didnt have a flex pipe.

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

better shot with old exhaust...
IMG_0672.jpg

Thanks. so where can i get a 2.25" flex pipe or do i just look around? also, i have new mounts on the car all around, and i also wonder why my tempo didnt have a flex pipe.

IMG_0481.jpg

you do have a flexable connection ..... see in front of the cat in the top right of the picture? you see the springs? there is a ceramic gasket under that and the springs allow the engine to move and not pull on the exhaust ....

ian you have to note that your svt has the resonator removed. when it was done the cat back exhaust was welded directly to the cat.

so what you see in ians pic is the flange on the zetec exhaust. about where the pipe changes color and is expanded to side over the forward section is about where the flange would be on a svt cat back.

so to install a svt exhaust on a zetec you have to bridge that gap in some way.

You don't have to bridge any gap. The "bridge" is the length of Zetec exhaust from the flange to the first weld. I was very clear in my explanation above, but yes, the funny color pipe is a res delete.

You don't have to bridge any gap. The "bridge" is the length of Zetec exhaust from the flange to the first weld. I was very clear in my explanation above, but yes, the funny color pipe is a res delete.

thanks for the pics and explaining stuff zorrex and Brapple.

edit: zorrex, are you running stock exhaust manifold/downpipe and so on to the SVT exhaust? did you notice any gain in power? how does it sound?

I didn't feel anything, but it sounds sweet. It makes cobrawannabe have to change his pants, but I don't think that is saying much. :shrug:

Even with a flex your going to do that(o the zetec atleast) if its not mounted properly or the flex isnt long enough. I broke my zetec's 1st weapon-r header that way(bad roll resister didnt help things). On the zetec their is also a mount/clamp before the flex the holds the downpipe/maifold to the engine. So that when the engine moves they move with it without any stress.

i need to make a new one or figure out the post98 mount. Its different then the pre98.

Back