• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT exhaust question

ilovesvt

Veteran CEG'er
Just curious about putting on a single exhaust on my csvt,i heard a few 2.5 cougars and contour sport single exhausts they seem to have a deep mean growl tone with no raspy popping hollow sound like most of the svt tours i hear, every time i hear a svt tour with aftermarket dual mufflers it seems real high pitched and rattly which i dont care for.Sounds like a loud chainsaw revving lol....so i kind of figured it was the x style piping the 2 exhaust manifolds go into 1 and come out 2 in the back....like some mustangs put a little x pipe and it sounds high pitched more and a hollow rasp after.....is this the design of the 2 mufflers in the back,is it supposed to sound real high and raspy? mine sounds like crap right now because if thats what its supposed to sound like im going to put like a single apexi gt spec and hack it up or something and if didnt make any sense im sorry lol its just my svt sounds like crap and im a picky exhaust note kinda guy

our exhaust IS NOT an "X" style exhaust, it is a single exhaust with dual outlets. if your's sounds like crap its probly cause you need new mufflers or your resonater has been removed and cats gutted. fix your exhaust, dont hack it up. an svt with single outlet just looks like a se with a svt body kit. ugly.

It came with resonator removed and main cat removed. not sure if the pre cats are gutted,wish there was a way to tell.......But i had a 99 cougar with resonator removed and a n1 stye muffler and didnt even sound this loud and it sounded good i just thought maybe since the svt had had 2 outlets the sound waves changed. But mine is already hacked the piping says bossani on it and the rear mufflers were removed and someone put some stock mufflers from another car on it,i guess ill have to hunt for a bone stock svt exhaust with the resonator still intact....thanks

If you restore the SVT exhaust, you'll probably be more than happy with the sound.

THE best growl down low, just a hint of anger up high. perfect volume.

You have to have a resonator, two mufflers and 3 cats for that.

Resonator and cat removed is what is making it sound like that. Especially the resonator not being there.

My car with headers, no main cat, and with stock resonator and stock mufflers has a lot of rasp. I believe if you go catless you need aftermarket exhaust to make it sound right including the resonator. Def don't do just one muffler either....it would look stupid.

You won't do a JDM mad tyte angled single exit exhaust! JUST DO EEEEEEET!

exhaust5.JPG

Actually i was thinking about the angle exhaust out the left side and block off the hole on the right side thats why i was going to get a gt spec apexi exhaust and hack it up to fit my svt. lol I had a angled tanabe exhaust on my 99 cougar 2.5 and i loved the way it sounded with a single exhaust.......but ill see if i got enough guts to do it in a few weeks because i like my exhaust super loud at high rpms crisp with no distortion....and that low deep clean gargle at low rpms but i will see whats up...all my 240sx s14s that i owned had angled exhaust lol

LMAO I'm totally kidding, chill, yo.

And just because it's angled, doesn't mean it's ricer. It's really funny how the terminology of ricer has been twisted ever since the introduction of F&F in the U.S.. Ricer includes, but not limited to, obnoxious terribly fitting body kits, fart can pissed off bee sounding exhaust, hood and roof scoops, and pointless giant wings.

Lol I am a ricer,i eat rice daily and i am korean lol cant live without my rice.....but yea everybodys contour svt looks the same,just wanted to change it up a bit no wing,no fiberglass,no weird double stacked wing,no fake fender vents,no carbon fiber stuff,no painted interior......i like my svt to be stock but slammed and a cool sleek exhaust......but to each its own thanks guys for the help

Lol its all good wasnt trying to be a dick lol. Honestly poles car is bad ass but i've never been a fan of single exhaust on anything lol

The gutted main cat is killing your powerband and making the ridiculous chainsaw sound, its all the turbulence in the main cat. My first action would be to either shove a straight pipe into and try and lodge it in place (maybe some tack welds if you could) or get a new main cat. I gutted my dds main cat 2 days ago (previusly with gutted precats and it was great then)...gutted the main cat and my car now falls on its face from 2,500 to 5,000 and sounds awful and makes a ruckus all while its going no where fast.

Yea i can honestly say it runs real slow without that main cat and resonator it pops and farts lmao,my old auto v6 mystique could have spanked this svt with ease lol......im going to order a catco or magnaflow main cat first thing. And get a resonator then get rid of these nasty weird mufflers someone put on....but thanks for all the advice everyone. if i do a single exhaust ill post pictures so everyone can dis or like it lol.....

Since im not a dual exhaust fan on v6 or i4 cars I bought a Apexi gt spec exhaust system and cut the muffler off and did a single exhaust out the right side,just dont like the sound of split pipes it does something to the tone of the exhaust imo.........the high pitched tone that i hated has left now.......i dont have a main cat or a resonator either so it is really deep and loud just the way i like it but i might put the apexi resonator on just to tone it down a hair.......just hope i dont melt my svt bumper the tip fits snug in the hole lol......so i have half bassani piping,half muffler shop piping with very nice smooth bends and apexi gt spec muffler and soon the apexi resonator lol my mutt exhaust.....ill probably just put a mesh screen over the exhaust hole on the left side or something i know people are going to hate me but i really like the sound better and im not hating on anyones exhaust and i coudnt do the angled jdm exhaust like that s2000 lol just wouldnt fit right if i did that my tip was to big

Well everyone was right,single exhaust on a svt is not good looking ,i did a single exhaust it did sound better than what i had,no pops or fart and it was DEEP i mean DEEP setting off car alarms at low rpms lol but it was way way to loud and it looked funny. So i found a stock svt catback for 35 bucks at a pick n pull and i coudlnt be happier,even with my main cat removed it sounds clean and quiet and got my acceleration back,the tires even chirp when i shift to second. I like the better low end power and its quiet and no drone thank god,stock svt exhaust is a keeper for me thanks everyone only if i had taken everyones advice i could have saved some money lmao.........

Back