• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Down!!!

Shogun51

New CEG'er
So I was screwing around in the svt last night long story short on the 1-2 shift I heard a boom and the car was instantly on the rev limiter. I put it in gear and nothing happens. I imediately tunr the car off and pull oer. Getout and I can see it is driping trans lube look behind and sue enough there is a trail of fluid behing the car. It was dark and the car sits pretty low so I couldnt see what was wrong so I called for a tow and got it home. Well this morning I took a look and it appears that the trans mount broke cuaseing the motor to twist damaging the other mounts and yanking the drivers side axle out of the trans:shocked:. At that point I sent it to a shop and they are saying it needs all new mounts and at least a new axle. The mtx may be damaged but they dont know. So right now I am looking at 800-1000+ bucks in repairs. Everyone was also very impressed that "just acontour"had enough power to break mounts and twist the motor like that:laugh:

Sounds kina like what happen to me... except when i shifted into 3rd there was no gear and no noise... Come to realize i had no gears at all!.. so i took it to a shop and thought it would be the gear linkage... nope... there is a bolt inside of the transmission that holds the linkage and that had snapped in half!.. cost me 1300 bucks to fix a dam bolt!..

Sounds kina like what happen to me... except when i shifted into 3rd there was no gear and no noise... Come to realize i had no gears at all!.. so i took it to a shop and thought it would be the gear linkage... nope... there is a bolt inside of the transmission that holds the linkage and that had snapped in half!.. cost me 1300 bucks to fix a dam bolt!..

if you are good you can get to the bolt that fell in without taking the tranny out.

I've done 4 of them - sometimes it takes less then 30 seconds, sometimes it can take over an hour. I mig welded mine to the tower so when it breaks again, it will be an easy fix.

Never broke one personally, but I understand if it breaks in a certain position you can be stuck removing the trans since you can't get the tower out. I just break shift cables :laugh:

I've done 4 of them - sometimes it takes less then 30 seconds, sometimes it can take over an hour. I mig welded mine to the tower so when it breaks again, it will be an easy fix.

Now that is thinking! :laugh: I have yet (knock on wood) to break one. Then again I drive like a granny most of the time, so they normally don't break on me.

True but you can still get the tower out if you are careful and know how to use an angle grinder. :laugh:

What? I must know more! I'm an expert at an angle grinder & an air cutoff tool. I've heard you are screwed if it breaks in a gear - what is your secret?

PLS tell us! lol.. it :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed me hard cause thats 1300 i didnt want to spend :(... i kept my bolt and show it too ppl saying that this bolt is worth 1300 bucks :p... so how do i fix or prevent this from happening again

I don't remember exactly how because it was a while ago but with the old tower you can unscrew the metal cap on top. I think I removed what I could under the cap and cut something so that the top plate that covers hole in the transmission could be removed. Then you can get access the inside of the transmission and shift it back into neutral and pull the rest out. In my case the car was stuck in third. The bolt in the tower broke and dropped straight down to the bottom of the case and could be seen when the tower was out sitting at the bottom. The was no transmission damage. Sorry I couldn't be more detailed but at least you know it can be done.

I'd say if you have fluid coming out or heard any type of noise when the tower broke that you will have to pull the transmission for some serious repair work. You probably blew a hole in your transmission case and ground up a few gears in the case with the metal shards. I don't think I've ever heard of an axle come out of the transmission. One side is bolted in and the other side is held in with a "C" clip. The side with the clip sounds like the one that popped out on you. You may not have had a clip on there or yours was worn out because they do not come out easily. As far as a transmission mount breaking it seems to be very common on our cars. The main bolt that goes through the mount starts to rust and then shears off. I've replaced a few mounts for people that came to me for engine swaps and they didn't even realize they were broken.

Well thanks? ... i kinda see how it could be done but not really to detailed :p... on mine i heard no noise at all.. didnt feel anything or loose any fluid.. just no gears.... and i have replaced 3 mounts now.. kinda ridiculous

Back