• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Superchip Module. Need answer

mityaz

New CEG'er
Hello. Can somebody answer these questions?...
I wanna buy a superchip module for my 99 contour. All i have done to it is cold air intake and 2.5'' stainless manifold-back exaust.
- So if i get this chip what horspower gain am i looking at?
- and is the higher RPM range bad for the stock valves and springs? or is it ok to redline it?

thanxs everybody

it should give you like +10hp and 15-17 torque if i rember right. unless you have more serious mods, which you don't. however, i did not feel any gain when i installed my module. some people report gains...i guess it depends on the car. and it will not change your redline unless you reprogram the module to do so.
i am not that familiar with them, but I am sure that someone here can fill in with more info. hope that helps.

superchip

superchip

hold up.. first whats an xcal2? And about who's gonna be doing the tunning its probably gonna be me. But does the chip have to be specifically burnt for my car? or can it be just any contour since i havent done anything major to the engine?? And if i do have to get it made specifically for my contour how do i do it??
thanx guys

HOnestly getting a superchip burned with only what you have done is a waste. If you plan on doing anymore modding do that then tune. Otherwise you'll just keep retuning chips and wasting your money. Your gain now won't be enough to really justify the amount of money spent.

hold up.. first whats an xcal2? And about who's gonna be doing the tunning its probably gonna be me. But does the chip have to be specifically burnt for my car? or can it be just any contour since i havent done anything major to the engine?? And if i do have to get it made specifically for my contour how do i do it??
thanx guys

Yes, if you get a superchip it has to be burnt specifically for your engine code. If you get a SCT chip, someone will have to do the tuning for you since its a mail order deal. If you want to tune it yourself, youll need the X-Cal 2 and PRP package. I think its in the neighborhood of $550. If you dont know anything about tuning, then I would suggest letting a professional do it.

Btw, we have a branch specifically for engine tuning. Theres gobs of info in there about the SCT X-Cal 2 and PRP since its the tuning software of choice.

well, the superchip module comes pre-burned from the factory for a stock engine. so if you put one in your stock car, you don't need to burn it. it should give you some gains, but won't be much. but burn it only after you do "serious" mods. in other words the burning should be the last mod you do on your car.

XCAL2 with a PRP will run you about $650-$675 shipped I think.

then you have to learn all that.

If you need a contour specific tuner, then look me up. I have the SVT codes and I've tune lots of SVTs and plenty of cougars.

Im New To the computer tuning of the Duratec and im a little curious whats XCal2 is

I wasn't real sure myself for the longest time, but from all my reading here is what I gather:

The Xcal2 is a device you use to upload a tune to your cars computer. The tune you get from somebody like Warmonger (which can be sent over the internet from what I understand), load it into the xcal2, then upload it into your car. As I understand it, the xcal2 can hold more than one tune, so you can have one for a stock car, one for daily driving, and one for track time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'd like to be sure as well.

Don't Xcal2's cover all Fords? Coz I see some on ebay, saying they are for specific trucks/cars. :shrug:

If they can be used for all Fords, u might get lucky and get a deal on one? :laugh:

Don't Xcal2's cover all Fords? Coz I see some on ebay, saying they are for specific trucks/cars. :shrug:

If they can be used for all Fords, u might get lucky and get a deal on one? :laugh:

They have to be tuned specifically for your VIN number. Meaning, you cant just take your buddies XCAL2 if he has a contour and use it on yours.

And X-Cals only cover OBD-II vehicles.

Last edited:
Back