• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stuck bolt, need help!

mrdeeds

CEG'er
My front driver's side rotor started to make grinding noises so I am replacing the rotors and pads. The rear pad was ground to nothing and just grinding the rotor. I got off the caliper, but am having a ••••• of a time trying to get off the bolts off the caliper mount. Tried a ratchet, wrench, WD40, the bloody things won't budge. Need to get everything done by the 7th to go back to work. :help:

WD40 won't do much at all in this case, you need a proper penetrant like PB Blaster, or liquid wrench, Kroil, something along those lines. A little bit of heat can help, just be careful with it. Rap the bolt head a few times with a hammer can sometimes help as well to loosen up stuck/rusted threads.

Finally got them off. I just stuck my wrench on them and used the factory jack to get extra leverage. Worked like a charm. If only I tried this a while ago.:shrug:

Finally did the passenger side, just the brakes though. One of the guide bolts was stripped. I accidently ripped the rubber housing, trying to get to it (BTW I used a bolt extractor to get it out. Is it a big thing to have a damaged rubber housing?

Is it a big thing to have a damaged rubber housing?

The bushings allow the caliper to float, and bad bushings can be a reason for vibration during braking from the front-end. NAPA had caliper pin/bushings when I did mine.

Back