• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Still overheating!! Need radiator help!

uu_demon

CEG'er
So I've replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant overflow tank on my 96 3L with ATX, but it's still overheating!! I'm 99% sure it's not the gauge temperature sensor because the low and hi speed fans seem to come on at the right temperatures. So I've narrowed it down to the radiator being clogged (inside or out). My original idea was to buy a new replacement one. I looked around locally and found one for $139 with lifetime warranty and a few other at around $125 with 1-2 years warranty. However, I'm not sure if a normal replacement one will work, especially with 100+ weather and AC running. Ideally, I would've liked to find a new, thicker SVT one, but I know that's not even an option now, so that leaves me with 5 options:
1) A new replacement one, and hope it'll be able to keep up (from what I hear it should be able to, but 140 dollars is enough for me to want to do more research)
2) Find a used SVT one in good condition, although I'm not sure if it has the ATX fluid ports. If it doesn't, this won't even be an option for me.
3) I called Summit racing and they carry an aluminum core one for around $125 with a 1 year warranty. Has anyone tried this one? I'm just not sure on the quality of it.
4) I found this one: http://www.genesisautoparts.com/product/RAD25039X1719AA.htm in an old thread. Again, I'm just not sure on the quality, especially with the $70 price. I know higher price doesn't always mean better quality, but half the price? Seems a little strange to me.
5) Clean out my old one. Cheapest of all the options here, but I don't know how effective it'll be, especially if it's clogged from inside.

So what do you guys think? Have any of you tried any of these options? Results?
I'm in the whole broke college kid situation so I'm really trying not to spend too much on this. Having said that, I know it's better to spend a few bucks more on a good solution rather than keep throwing money away on band-aid fixes.
Thanks in advance!
Jose

Iv'e purchased one of those genesis radiators in the past. it works great. One hose connection angle is slightly different and i had to use a stronger hose clamp to keep it from leaking. otherwise it's a pretty good bargain.

Back