• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stazi Mesh - How To?

Dirtylimey

CEG'er
Just wondering if there is a concise guide (with pictures) out there on how to properly fit Stazi (or any other type) of mesh?

The oval I have taken care of, the rear I have removed the old mesh which was easy since it was just a case of removing clips, however there doesn't seem to be any easy way of lining up the Stazi mesh to fit flush into the bumper and then be able to clip it on either... I assume I will have the same issues on the front.

I guess if possible, I don't want to cut or modify my bumper tabs... I would rather cut or modify the mesh so that the bumper tabs will actually fit right.

Just wondering what those of you with Stazi mesh did to get around this. Not much point in me reinventing the wheel if the solution is already out there..

use a small cut off wheel on a dremel,or a hand file and open up the diamonds were needed. its really not hard.:shrug:

use a small cut off wheel on a dremel,or a hand file and open up the diamonds were needed. its really not hard.:shrug:

Well thats exactly what I would have done, but then in one of Stazis posts that I read (I've probably searched every last post or trace of mesh installation in the forum) he emphasized "DO NOT MODIFY THE MESH AT ALL" because that was how his was cut and would fit...

Stazi said:
Trim the tabs with a SHARP box cutter, DON'T cut the mesh! IIRC two tabs line up on the back and two meed to be "thinned" so they fit inside the diamond openings.
The mesh is best held in by using self tapping screws which you screw in BEHIND the mesh, in the tab after you push the mesh up hard against the bumper. Basically they poke out of the tabs and stop the mesh from sliding off the tab.

Quoted from a PM I had from Stazi...

Well, it's all about what you feel like modifying. I didn't want to modify my bumper tabs so I modded the mesh to it with a file. I fit the grills as best I could, then marked where it was hitting the tabs, then modified apropriately. Here's what I did:

stazi_mesh.jpg

I think stazi's biggest concern about people modifying the mesh is that they'll probably mess it up and it will end up looking like crap with gaps here and there and will want another piece. If you mod the tabs on the bumper, there is obviously less chance of this.

Last edited:
Well, it's all about what you feel like modifying. I didn't want to modify my bumper tabs so I modded the mesh to it with a file. I fit the grills as best I could, then marked where it was hitting the tabs, then modified apropriately. Here's what I did:

stazi_mesh.jpg

I think stazi's biggest concern about people modifying the mesh is that they'll probably mess it up and it will end up looking like crap with gaps here and there and will want another piece. If you mod the tabs on the bumper, there is obviously less chance of this.

Thanks man. Thats pretty much what I did to fit my rear mesh, though I was more liberal with my cutting. (the mesh, not the bumper tabs) Looks fine though.

Ill be tackling the front lower next and will try just to make the slots like you have suggested.

Also what did you use to fix the mesh back on? I've read some used the stock clips (i cant iimagine how), others screwed directly into the bumper?

For my rear lower I slid on some U type speed nut things (?) that for the most part, stop the mesh from sliding back. Wasnt sure if there was a better way to do this.

I don't have anything holding them in. The mesh is on the tabs so tight, I can pull on it with some pretty solid force and it won't come off. I'd still like to put some sort of secondary security like screws through the tabs.

Back