• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starter or ring gear?

Heywood

Hard-core CEG'er
Very occasionally I have had an issue where the car won't start. Starter whirrs like its not engaged. I have been driving with a busted spec clutch and I'm wondering whether its likely I'm missing some teeth on the ring gear, or whether its more likely just the starter going bad.

Any opinions or similar experiences out there?

Usually I can just rock the car while its in gear and then it will start fine. This weekend I had to jump start it for the first time.

Weather permitting I'm fixing the clutch this weekend. I have a new starter in my parts stash but trying to work out whether to order a new ring gear from fidanza.

This is sort of common when using a SPEC clutch. Depending on the clutch material, SPEC clutches have been known to create tons of dust. This jams up the bendix on the starter and causes it to spin without engaging the flywheel.

The same thing happened to me a bunch of times with my old starter. It was on and off for about 2-3 years, but very random. I could go 6 months with no issue, then have to pop start it once, and again nothing for a long time. After replacing the starter, it's been fine and I'm still running the same clutch. I don't drive the car often enough now to create a lot of dust from the clutch though.

Thanks for the reply!
Seems you have to replace the whole flywheel since the ring gear is pressed on, so I will take my chances and take a good look at it while its apart.

Hi guys... I just experienced this, and same as you... i tried rocking the car in gear then it worked.... So to prevent this from happenening again is this a starter issue or?

Thanks

I think as stated above it is to do with dust collecitng in the starter motor. You could try pulling the starter off and blowing out the dust - probably just as effective as replacing.

Back