• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedo dies and low fuel light comes on intermittently... (sound familiar?)

Nate Payeur

CEG'er
Hi guys,

I've been having a problem with my speedo and fuel low light. Occasionally while driving the speedo dies and the low fuel light comes on. If i give the dash a good wack it usually comes back. This happened twice yesterday.

I seem to remember someone else here had the same issue. Any idea what the problem was? (loose ground, loose harness to the cluster?) How did you resolve it?

I'm thinking about taking it apart and just double checking everything.

Thanks,
Nate

Great... now last night i get in the car on the way how and there is no dash lighting. So i checked the fuse (fuse 31) and it's blown. I replaced it and blew as soon as i turned on the headlights and the dash backlight came on.... WTF?

Well... i think i might have two separate problems but i know at least the reason for one of them. On my way home yesterday smoke started pouring out from behind the dash by the dimmer switch. Now it makes sence why i kept blowing the fuse. (Faulty switch)

But my instrument cluster issue is still around.

I'm SURE that someone else on the Eastern Canada forum had his problem before. I THINK is was Laura.

Laura where are you!!!!! :)

Hi guys,

I've been having a problem with my speedo and fuel low light. Occasionally while driving the speedo dies and the low fuel light comes on. If i give the dash a good wack it usually comes back. This happened twice yesterday.

I seem to remember someone else here had the same issue. Any idea what the problem was? (loose ground, loose harness to the cluster?) How did you resolve it?

I'm thinking about taking it apart and just double checking everything.

Thanks,
Nate

Been there done that. That is exactly what happened to me too. It would do it now and then hit the dash and it would come back. Sometimes would last a year or more and other times a day or two until eventually it did not come back. Ended up having to change the speedo, fixed the problem, never came back. All is good now (67,000 K on the new one now).

We swapped out one before I bought a new one to make sure that that was the problem.

It is very easy to do, just taking the dash apart to remove the cluster remove the old speedo, insert new one and put everything back together.

Hi Laura!

Did you have to replace the whole cluster or just the speedo itself? Did you get it from the dealer or used? Do you happen to remember how much it cost?

Nate

I only replaced the speedo itself. The rest of the stuff was fine. It is was pretty easy to remove as long as you are careful.

The cost, good question. I don't remember exactly but i think it was about $300 or something like that. I purchased a new one from the dealership.

Hmm... interesting... so i guess i need a need speedo gauge. I'm thinking about tracking down a used V6 speedo and then using the SVT housing so that everyting matches. $300 seems a LOT for just one gauge. I wonder how much for the whole cluster then?

Does anyone have a used V6 98-00 speedo or cluster for sale? Theres tonnes on Ebay but they're all US models.

Nate all I got is a US Cluster. if you want to swap in a cluster to see if it solves your probelm you are more than welcome to borrow my US one.

Aaron

Be carefull what speedo you get. You need the SVT speedo so that the needle will point to the correct numbers seeing as they are spaced apart differently from the V6 one.

Also, only an E0 speedo will work in your car, and there are 2 different kinds of connections for the E0 cluster. The E1 cluster was re-designed and needs a lot of modification to put into a E0 or a Pre-98.
You should be able to get a US speedo, and just swap the gauge face but that involves pulling off the needle, and having to stick it back on in the same spot.

I went through all this mess trying to install SVT gauges into the Mystique. You can read about it here: http://ca.geocities.com/m_disco/SVT_gauges.htm

yes he is right about the EO and E1 being different. Before I bought mine I tried one from another car to make sure that solved the problem and the E1 are completely different. It may seem like a lot of money but personally that way I knew it was warrantied plus I got to start at zero again and didn't have to have someone elses mileage on my speedo. It was a lot less work too it just clips right in there and its done. No needing to change anything.

They may be less now It has been more than a year since I did it. Prices seem to be coming down lately with stuff from Ford.

So, I should look for an E1 connection type cluster? for a 98 tour. I have an imperial cluster w/o tach and I'm thinking of swapping it to a cluster with tach and metric (KM). Did anybody do that? Is it a big difference between numbers (where the neddle points). I want to keep it as stock looking as possible (cluster and gauges).

Any other tips about swapping clusters would be appreaciated!

So, I should look for an E1 connection type cluster? for a 98 tour. I have an imperial cluster w/o tach and I'm thinking of swapping it to a cluster with tach and metric (KM). Did anybody do that? Is it a big difference between numbers (where the neddle points). I want to keep it as stock looking as possible (cluster and gauges).

Holy hijack batman!!!

It depends on the cluster for your car. If you have a 98(E0), get a 98 cluster, if you have a 98.5(E1) get a 98.5 cluster. Really you have pull your cluster out and look at the back of it, then find one with the same type of connections to the speedo. The link I posted should show the 3 different kinds. I have never looked at one without the tach though.

It depends on the cluster for your car. If you have a 98(E0), get a 98 cluster, if you have a 98.5(E1) get a 98.5 cluster. Really you have pull your cluster out and look at the back of it, then find one with the same type of connections to the speedo. The link I posted should show the 3 different kinds. I have never looked at one without the tach though.

Thank you for posting that link, that stuff is really helpful.
I'll take it apart this weekend, look at it and make sure I get the right cluster with the right connection.

Cheers.

IIRC they are interchangeable. The plug maybe already in use or sitting behind your current speedo. (the one with the tach sensor info) Just make sure to get a speedo that has a 4 on the rpm dial right under the needle or a v6 above the needle. Of course depending on what engine you have. Otherwise it is a little more complicated involving a little rewiring on the speedo itself to get it to read right.

IIRC they are interchangeable. The plug maybe already in use or sitting behind your current speedo. (the one with the tach sensor info) Just make sure to get a speedo that has a 4 on the rpm dial right under the needle or a v6 above the needle. Of course depending on what engine you have. Otherwise it is a little more complicated involving a little rewiring on the speedo itself to get it to read right.

I've got a zetec ATX, thanks for the tips.

Cheers

Back