• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spectre intake

skiller1234

New CEG'er
Hello all - recently picked up a 98 svt, its a great little car - with one exception. It's LOUD! Way too loud in my opinion. Its ok with a light throttle, but if you get into is at all the sucker just roars..... I think its the Spectre intake setup.. So thinking about maybe going back to stock - but I'll have to track down a stock setup. Or if there is some way to monkey with this one to quiet it down a bit?

Is this Spectre brand any good? Searching around here leads me to think its not exactly a top notch setup.

Thanks for the help!

Shawn

Attachments

• spectre air intake..jpg
    spectre air intake..jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
those filters are pretty good in my opinion , the growl your hearing is your motor actually breathing ( its a good thing ) look into the exhaust maybe somone modded it

Yeah - its breathing allright! My other thought is I'd like to run some Solo ll. I'd much prefer to stay stock so I can run GS, cheaper and easier. However I know I'd need to go back stock. I will check the ads here for an extra one. I ran my beloved sentra se-r in GS for several years, and will be interested to see if the cvst can match it. It has more power and total grip, but its also heavier. Not as nimble and tossable, so it'll be fun trying!

Anyway - any tips on places to find a stock svt intake would be great - i checked on ebay and came up blank. ALso will need tires - it came with fuzion hri's, which really seem to suck. The things squeal if you so much as look at them wrong.

I have a Spectre filter on my Zetec and I like it. I noticed a bit of a throttle response improvement. Only reason I opted for the Spectre is it's rather difficult to source a filter that fits the Zetec MAF, and I didn't feel like ordering offline.

FYI, the mesh will rust if it gets wet on the Spectres. My last VR GLX came with one and I replaced it with a carbonio and K&N. The Spectre sat on my shelf in the garage. It can get pretty humid in there but I pulled it out to toss it last week and it was completely rusted. The K&N cone next to it was fine.

I don't think it's the intake that's that loud. Someone might have rig the exhaust (resonator remove and cats and or fart can mufflers)

i have never had a spectra filter rust before... and my car is stock with intake, spectra, i guess someone took the res off cuz it dont have one and it has new pipe where it would be. i just fixed my flex pipe and did the opti Y pipe. and my car has a way deep loud good sound but its from the intake. the exhaust isnt very loud. my intake sounds like a turbine engine at idle

Back