• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spark plug wires

I've heard of OBX, but not of the wires. I'm not sure how much gain you'll get as opposed to 8-9mm wires.

heard of them, but when it comes to wires and electronics you normally get what you pay for. With that said, i cant see these being very good or any better then stock.

ive learned through home audio about the difference even wires can make and it a big one. Id go with something everyone knows is good even if its more expensive, it just means you need to save a little longer. :shrug:

I wouldn't worry too much about the brand unless they're real cheap ones. Then I'd be wary. Otherwise, a spark plug wire is a spark plug wire. For the price of those OBX ones including shipping, you could just be safe and get Motorcraft ones. Personally, I use the basic $25 Autozone set and have never had a problem.

Also, anyone who tells you there's some sort of power gain to be had with better wires is an idiot. If the engine isn't misfiring, the wires are good. No performance gains possible from this.

I wouldn't worry too much about the brand unless they're real cheap ones. Then I'd be wary. Otherwise, a spark plug wire is a spark plug wire. For the price of those OBX ones including shipping, you could just be safe and get Motorcraft ones. Personally, I use the basic $25 Autozone set and have never had a problem.

Also, anyone who tells you there's some sort of power gain to be had with better wires is an idiot. If the engine isn't misfiring, the wires are good. No performance gains possible from this.
yup. you will never see any power gains from plug wires UNLESS the wires you replaced were already bad.

the only reason i have aftermarket wires on my car is for looks.

the same goes for the coil pack on the contour. the stock one works extremely well. the only reason to replace it with an MSD one is if your factory coil pack is believed to be bad.

again the only reason i have an MSD coil pack is for looks and because it was cheaper than a new one when mine was thought to be having issues.

Yes, I was going for looks too with the red wires. I didn't think that they would provide any kind of power increase.

I've only bought red wires. Usually the 9mm Ford Racing Wires.....Kinda stock, but not really...

Last edited:
The only way your going to see a power gain is if you do the whole electronical system. plugs, wires, and coil; creates a hotter spark, which burns more fuel, thus more hp.

The only way your going to see a power gain is if you do the whole electronical system. plugs, wires, and coil; creates a hotter spark, which burns more fuel, thus more hp.

It wouldn't be a "gain" in horsepower. All you could be doing is moving your car closer to it's stock horsepower, if it lost some from worn-out connections. If the car was already burning all the fuel (as it should), you won't be gaining any more horsepower from new wires etc. You'd have to get more fuel in (ie, larger injectors, etc).

Back