• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spare ground wires, after build

constrosity

CEG'er
98 contour svt
2002 taurus 3.0
svt tranny
i have 2 loose ground wires that are only like maybe 1 foot long. They have washer end metal fittings. I'm not sure where they might go other than maybe the starter, does any one have any pics? The last wires to connect before finishing build and really dont want to fry it lol

Post pictures.

Since it's 1 foot long it is probably the wire that goes from the transmission to the fender on the driver's side (under intake) or from the firewall to the engine mount plate on the passenger side.

photo.php
photo.php
one 20" the other 29"

Yeah, the car shouldn't start without that ground wire hooked up.......

I'm betting he is talking about the ground strap for the coil pack. There should be a wire that goes from the bolt on the coil to the back part of the cylinder head/firewall can't remember exactly the terminating point.

The only other grounds I know of (which are stand alone cables) in the engine bay is the main ground from the trans bell housing to the starter and then the ground from the engine to the firewall on the passenger side.

I was talking about blu's pic with the the two cable lengths that terminate together in one end. I don't have a wire like that and never saw one on my contour. I have the two ground wires in the right places and know where they go, I'm just confused by the split wire in the pic!

that picture I took was just a side by kind of side picture i took lol but its actually 2 wires. so the wires are the trans to starter and the other i engine to firewall.? does it really matter where they attach as long as they are between the 2 wires are between those 4 points?

I'm betting he is talking about the ground strap for the coil pack. There should be a wire that goes from the bolt on the coil to the back part of the cylinder head/firewall can't remember exactly the terminating point.

The ground strap for the coil pack is a metal braided wire and its only a few inches long. It runs from the back corner of the coil pack one of the mounting bolts on the DPFE sensor bracket.

There is one ground from the engine mount to the fender. There is also a ground from the bracket just under the TOB on the side of the MTX case that goes to the frame, iirc. Then there is one small ground from the battery to the frame also, normally one of the battery tray bolts.

Back