• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Some turbo questions that have mixed views

foxslayer

New CEG'er
I'm in the process of getting a turbo kit, but have a few question.

(1) this setup comes with 40# lightning injectors, now from what I have seen these are return fuel style injectors. But my car is returnless. The question I have is, would it be better to just get some cobra/returnless injectors, or can I splice wiring harnnesses and use the lightning injectors? And i hear not to do, then i hear that it is ok. I want to know a for sure anwser from some people here that have done it.

(2)What is a good spot to start with when it comes to a MAF sensor. I know from many post not to match MAF to injectors. But i havent seen much on what Physical size Maf to get. will the stock size work or do i need to match it to the piping that goes into the turbo? My idea power range is between 300 to 375 FWHP...
I have search and get a mixed range of what it should be. Maybe i can get a definate answer on this too...

(3) My thrid question is, Ive read that everyone believes that running a turbo kit you HAVE to run 3" exhaust. But I seen one post if you are running a atmosphere dump wastegate (which this one is) that a 2.5" catback will be enough.The kit comes with a 3" downpipe that ends shortly after the subframe. So is this true about the 2.5", or is the 3" no matter what the right way to go?

Well what car do you have?

If it is a contour:

1. You can cut and splice but it would be nicer to run the correct injector

2. No car on here has max'd out the 80mm lightning maf yet. BurritaSVT may be on the top end of it with his new turbo but still has room right now. 80mm lightning MAF will be fine. They are also pretty common.

3. 3" catback is probably better but if you have an atmospheric dump then it really isn't a big deal. 2.5" catback will be sufficient for most engines in the power range you are talking about, even with an integrated wastegate but it'll just be a tad less efficient, meaning you may have to run a bit more boost to get there than someone with a 3" exhaust with integrated wastegate.

Yea i guess i should have mentioned this. its a 00' Cougar.

1. That what i was wondering. I'll already have the 40# return/injectors, and it seems that the cobra/returnless ones are kinda like gold on price and not the easiest to fine. With that said i think the cobra injectors are like 36 or 39#. T
hey going to be enough to run in the 300-400 fwhp range with out getting lean?

2. SO is the lightning a 80mm MAF or 90mm I've seen both on the net, so which one is the correct one or both ok to use?

3. just how much of a power decrease would there be with an atmostphere dump WG when you use a 2.5 catback verus a 3" catback?

Yea i guess i should have mentioned this. its a 00' Cougar.

1. That what i was wondering. I'll already have the 40# return/injectors, and it seems that the cobra/returnless ones are kinda like gold on price and not the easiest to fine. With that said i think the cobra injectors are like 36 or 39#. T
hey going to be enough to run in the 300-400 fwhp range with out getting lean?

2. SO is the lightning a 80mm MAF or 90mm I've seen both on the net, so which one is the correct one or both ok to use?

3. just how much of a power decrease would there be with an atmostphere dump WG when you use a 2.5 catback verus a 3" catback?

1. The 36 or 39 are probably enough but go 39 if you are worried.

2. 80mm is enough and cheaper

3. With atmospheric dump, I would think no power "loss" at all. The sum of the 2.5" exhaust pipe and the 30mm wastegate is quite close to the 3" pipe in flow capacity so it shouldn't make a difference. I was talking about piping the wastegate back IN on a 2.5" exhaust. It would still work but would be inefficient as compared with the 3" exhaust.

39# 03/04 Cobra injectors are a good choice, and there are usually a few sets over on svtperformance.com in the market. :cool:

Mark

Thanks warmonger,Y2ksvt that helped out alot.. i was hoping not to have to change my exhaust just yet so that makes me feel better and the the injectors i will have to try out that site you mentioned y2ksvt. Maybe i can sell the Lightning injectors and recoupe some of my cost lol. Thanks again... any other helpful info that i might need let me know

If you get the injectors off a cobra might as well get a Maf off of one also...

My 2¢...

Lightning injectors are 42# green tops... Cobra's should be 39# blue tops IIRC...

The 99-00 Lightning had 80 MM ,01-04 have 90 MM... both for 42#...

There's more to an internal wastegate than having just a bigger exhaust. An external wastegate can make significantly more power than an internal.. a lot depends on how well the internal is set up and how well the external is set up.

An internal not only adds all that exhaust to your exhaust it also adds different velocity different temp exhaust gas... and often at a sharp angle into the exhaust flow.

Also on turbo cars it's hard to really go too big...

The 99-00 Lightning had 80 MM ,01-04 have 90 MM... both for 42#...
OEM MAFs are not calibrated for injectors. OEM MAF transfer functions are well known and can be easily plugged into your custom tuning software.

Just food for thought and not a diss in any way.

Back