• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So I need a third transmission :(

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
To summarize the past 8 months up in a few sentences:

1) Bought a 98 csvt around January with a broken trans
2) Brought it to a local shop and had new motor mounts, trans mounts, and msds headers put on. I believe a new axle was installed too.
3) Had a used trans shipped in from SC and installed
4) Drove it 2 weeks and the car got stuck in 5th gear
5) Attempted to put the car on a tow dolly and scratched up the front bumper heavily :blackeye:.
6) Had the car towed to a shop that my grandpa's friend works at.
7) It is determined that both transmissions have internal damage.
8) Grandpa's friend needs the lift freed up by next week so a working manual trans is needed asap.

So now that we're up to speed, does anyone have a prepulled used transmission 98+ that is working and within 100 miles from the NJ border :shrug:? I need one bad :(.

Also, anyone know where I can pick up a car bra to temporarily "hide" the front bumper damage :blackeye:? Maybe something like:

braaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

I love my tours but they're a pricey hobby :blackeye:.
I'll try not to trade them all in for a gt stang :drool::rolleyes::laugh:.

i bought one from Jegs a few years ago but they were hard to come by then. You will have to call them though

To summarize the past 8 months up in a few sentences:

1) Bought a 98 csvt around January with a broken trans
2) Brought it to a local shop and had new motor mounts, trans mounts, and msds headers put on. I believe a new axle was installed too.
3) Had a used trans shipped in from SC and installed
4) Drove it 2 weeks and the car got stuck in 5th gear
5) Attempted to put the car on a tow dolly and scratched up the front bumper heavily :blackeye:.
6) Had the car towed to a shop that my grandpa's friend works at.
7) It is determined that both transmissions have internal damage.
8) Grandpa's friend needs the lift freed up by next week so a working manual trans is needed asap.

So now that we're up to speed, does anyone have a prepulled used transmission 98+ that is working and within 100 miles from the NJ border :shrug:? I need one bad :(.

Also, anyone know where I can pick up a car bra to temporarily "hide" the front bumper damage :blackeye:? Maybe something like:

braaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

I love my tours but they're a pricey hobby :blackeye:.
I'll try not to trade them all in for a gt stang :drool::rolleyes::laugh:.

the guy on here from jersey city I think still has 1. I seen it in the classafieds. but hold on I will get his name ok

ok it's qbcsvt

I PMed Amyn. Hopefully he still has it :shrug:.
It's sad that my car's been off the road longer than it's been on the road :nonono::rolleyes:.

Sounds like my "Maserati."

Owned it for 3 months and barely put 300 miles on it. It spent two of those months in the shop.

why don't you get one of the ones you have rebuilt?

The car's being worked on at a shop that my grandpa's friend works at. Unfortunately he let us use the lift as a favor but wants the car gone next week (I think his boss is giving him grief). My grandpa said he will rebuild one of the 2 transmissions I have now so I can sell it later to recover some of my money. However they need something to install in there this weekend or early next week :blackeye:.

so put one back in and roll the car outside :shrug: rebuild the other one and then install ....

I thought about this too, but grandpa says rebuilding will take all weekend and in that case, there won't be time to swap the trans. Unfortunately it looks like the fastest fix right now is to pick up a trans, put it in, and then next weekend rebuild one of my broken transmissions (or both) and sell them. So if you happen to need a manual trans, PM me in 2 weeks :laugh:.

I emailed a a guy named Doug at Chuck and Eddie's Used Auto Parts in CT today and he said he has a manual trans for a 99 Cougar with a warranty that I can pick up tomorrow. Being that it's a Cougar trans, I may have some additional work to do regarding a sensor :confused::shrug:.

there were mid year changes made to the cougar [so build date after mid 5/99], but I dont think any of those changes affected the tranny.

there is one difference with the later cougar trannies where the TSS sensor changed IIRC. But I've only half listened to those conversations so I'm not sure the whole story on that.

it sounds like you need to get a professionally rebuilt trans and not buy used stuff. My trans has had a slight third gear grind for the past 2 years but i drive it easy for the most part and it works.

This coming from a person that buys nearly everything 2nd hand.

it sounds like you need to get a professionally rebuilt trans and not buy used stuff. My trans has had a slight third gear grind for the past 2 years but i drive it easy for the most part and it works.

This coming from a person that buys nearly everything 2nd hand.

Sadly until I'm out of college, I can only afford the 2nd hand stuff :blackeye:.

Though guess what guys! I now own five MTX-75 transmissions :shocked::laugh:! I drove into CT this weekend and picked up a 99 Cougar manual trans for the 98 csvt. I'm not sure what month it was made so it may have a sensor relocated IIRC. Here's the vin for the Cougar.

VIN# 1ZWFT61LXX5759158

Sadly until I'm out of college, I can only afford the 2nd hand stuff :blackeye:.

Though guess what guys! I now own five MTX-75 transmissions :shocked::laugh:! I drove into CT this weekend and picked up a 99 Cougar manual trans for the 98 csvt. I'm not sure what month it was made so it may have a sensor relocated IIRC. Here's the vin for the Cougar.

VIN# 1ZWFT61LXX5759158

lol!! juat wondering what did u drive into CT? ur Contour SE?

lol!! juat wondering what did u drive into CT? ur Contour SE?

Sadly no. I baby the SE these days :rolleyes:. I hate to say it, but we took my friend's Civic HX :shocked:. Hey, You can't argue with those mpg's!! :laugh:

VIN# 1ZWFT61LXX5759158

I know the feeling but at the same time 1 correctly rebuilt one would probably have been less then the 5 unknown ones you have.

Back