• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So I found a Zx2 FS local...

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
That has a bad timing belt. He seems to think the engine needs to be replaced and says, "not running because the timer belt went on it and it had messed up the pistons" I'm raising the BS flag on that one...

I was thinking about replacing my 95 'Stique with it till I found out that the car was an automatic. Now, considering how cheap the car is and that it only has 93k on it, i'm thinking about buying it to flip.

Thoughts? What are the odds that the engine actually is toast? The car is currently sitting at a ford dealership and he said I could take a look if I wanted.

The Zetec is a non-interference engine so it should be fine. depending on how cheap "cheap" is it would be tempting to pick up and flip.

Car has 93k, no pics or anything but he told me where it is and said feel free to take a look at it. FWIW, he's asking 500 obo...

I had to do a timing belt on my zetec and it was easy so this shouldn't be too bad. My belt was broke too so I had to retime it from scratch as well.

keep in mind the 98+ Zetecs have VCT (except for the focus) so it may be a little harder to get everything just right.

No its not much harder. Sounds like a good deal to me, I'd jump on it. The engine is fine, I promise. I was about to pick up a ZX2 with a shredded belt myself for $500 but when I went to look at it there were all kinds of fishy wires running around the engine bay-- the car had all kinds of aftermarket electronics that had been done with a hack job install.

In all honesty if the car was a stick i'd pick it up to keep it but, I don't really want another automatic vehicle. Just got another email from the kid, it's sitting at a local ford dealership (one of the crooked ones in the area) so i'm gonna take a look at it today and see what kind of condition it is in.

I figure if its decent i'll jump on it. Will post up pics later on this afternoon... ;)

Just got back from taking a look at it... The interior was pretty clean, would clean up real nice. The exterior was decent, little bit of rust on the underside of the rocker panels but nothing terrible. It would clean up to look fairly decent.

My big concern with it is that the car is already taken apart to an extent. I didn't want to go tearing into it with no one there, but I did take a look as it was unlocked with the hood popped. The owner told me where it was and said to take a look. The spark plugs and timing belt cover were sitting in the passenger footwell. Engine was as you see it there, intake tube removed, valve cover blots loose. The timing belt "seems" ok, its definitely not broken but may have stripped teeth like mine did. I have concern that its not just the timing being off and there is some other damage. On the bright side, pulled the dipstick and the oil looked ok, no metal in it or anything, it did seem on the high side though.

I'm thinking considering I don't know what i'd be getting into I wouldn't offer $500. I'm thinking about being the :censored: lowballer and offering him $200 cash picked up by the weekend. I'm sure I could get $300 for it at a junkyard if it turned out to not be worth fixing anyways... Decisions decisions...

Here are a few pics...
zx2_1.jpg

zx2_2.jpg

zx2_3.jpg

zx2_4.jpg

zx2_5.jpg

When I picked up my 2nd contour('95 mtx), it was much the same way. It was sitting at a shop and someone had messed with the valve cover some and a couple other things. Looked a little fishy. The guy said the engine was toast.

Anyway, I jumped it, listened to the engine turn over, and there were no bad sounds. Took it home, put a belt kit on it and was set.

If it were me and the engine turns over freely, I'd take it home!

It's hard to blow up a zetec unless you run it with no oil. These are bulletproof engines and are most definitely NON INTERFERENCE.

Well I was gonna pass on it, emailed the guy about it to say thanks and let him know I was gonna pass on it cuz I wasn't willing to take the risk. His response, I really need this car gone, if you want it and can pick it up, its yours for $150...

So, i'll be going to get it tomorrow... :)

Yep, I didn't expect that. Worst case scenario the engine is toast (which I doubt) I sell it to the scrapper for $150 more than I pay for it... :)

I wish the car was a stick, i'd keep it if it was...

Well this is some bs... I talked to the kid again last night to finalize plans to pick it up friday night. Got everything set up (buddy w/trailer, etc) and then get an email this morning saying he's selling it to someone else... Oh well...

Back