• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

side skirt repair

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
After removing my side skirts, I noticed a break in one of them. Near the front, where the plastic is at the thinnest.

skirtbreak1..jpg

This is a bad spot but probably not uncommon.

skirtbreak2..jpg

I am not sure what the best repair is. Trying to JBWeld of glue is likely futile with so little surface area. I could try gluing a flat strip to the back for reinforcement. Can this plastic be carefully melted back together ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Anyone....anyone ? Buhler ? No one had tried to weld this type of broken plastic before ? If so, can anyone tell me what type of plastic it is ? ABS ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

There is a two part repair kit that you can buy for urethane bumpers. I used it on my Camaro's rear bumper that I picked up at a bone yard to fix a couple of cracks. Worked nicely. Although I bought it a while ago at a Checker, which is now O'Reilly's. However I would think they still have something similar.

EDIT: That said you want something to support the side skirt so that the crack doesn't separate more as it is curing.

Last edited:
Back