• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

shifter question

RedFire98

CEG'er
hey guys,
in attempt to change over to a leather shift knob i started poking around today. here is how my shifter sits now, minus the knob. i believe its a b&m.
29p2r2d.jpg

i want to install the black shiftknob thats sitting on the passenger seat. i could get it to all match up, but the new knob would be about 1" higher than the one thats on there now(below e-brake).. now this is how it looks with the aluminum assembly removed:
zwxced.jpg

now my question is:
are the two areas highlighted in red threaded extensions??
the new knob only requires a rubber nipple on top of the rod, then it simply gets tightened down with some small pins.. if those are extensions i could simply remove the top one and button it all back up. i dont want to cut it because if i do i wont be able to tighten the old knob back on as it grabs the thread at the very top of the shifter rod.. anyone??:shrug:

No its all one solid piece. You option would be cutting it.

that sucks.. as is it would literally be knuckles in the cdplayer, id have to take off like 2 inches.. if i do that the whole alum. assembly thats on there now would be useless.. boo:rolleyes:
thnx for the fast reply thou..

No problem. I have that exact same shifter sitting on my couch right now.

i love it, theres nothing wrong with it at all i just wanted to see how the black leather knob looks.. plus the metal knobs get cold around here in the winter time:cool: i guess its time to decide, to cut or not?

or you can get a stock or a cougar shift knob which are both leather and it will thread right onto the shifter...

thanks for the input guys. i may cut it down tomorrow, we'll see what happens.. im just not a fan of the stock shifters(cougar is a lot better imho), and i already got the leather one for free:cool:

Back