• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SeVT Project

BoOgIeMaN_SE

CEG'er
I just picked up all the SVT top half parts UIM,LIM,TB,Heads,W/Cams,Injectors,Fuel Rail w/o regulator,and valve covers. I will be getting the rest of the bottom half soon ie... exhaust mani's Y-pipe and cat bck exhaust. I dug around and didn't find much on the SE--SVT conversion. Im somewhat mechanicly inclined when it comes to maintaining a car ie... (oil change, full tuneup, brakes) things of that nature. This is the first time I have ever gotten into a project like this before. I have a brother that has a 7.91sec 1/4ml mustang drag car that will be helping me with this project, (he knows A LOT more than i do LOL) so this SVT conversion will be new to both of us. So far with the research I have done this is def possible ta do :) (YaY MORE Power) My biggest ? is what ta do about the PCM. Do I try and find a used SVT one or will the SCT Livewire W/ a tune work with the SE PCM? Is there anything else I would be missing from what I already have comming?

SVT PCMs are cheap and it will not run right with 19# injectors without an SVT PCM or a tune but the livewire is $400 and the cheapest mail order tune is $200, software to make your own is about $300, and dyno time is expensive and not worth it when SVT PCMs can be had for as little as $25 (PM Reebs to see what hes got). Make sure you get the right PCM for your year contour (info is in a sticky in PCM tuning for PCM codes and what car they will work for). SVT stuff is the easiest to do because all you have to do is replace stock stuff. Make sure you have the SVT TB bracket as the stock will NOT work, nor will the throttle cable if you have a manual. SVT air box is a much preferable setup to stock and can be had for cheap, stock accordian tube is way too small to fit over the SVT TB so get an SVT or silicone couplers and aftermarket intake tube. Check the group buy section for header/Y deals as they are a better upgrade than SVT Y and SVT manifolds were no different than regular contours though you'll need MIL eliminators so you don't get a CEL from the O2 sensors, the header/Y combos are around $400. Most info you need will be available with a quick search, but if you can't find something you can PM me.

EDIT: Unless you get a key with the PCM the PATS system will not allow you to start the car until your key is programmed for it which must be done at a dealer, also you may want to list your year as that will help me tell you other info you may need.

Parts went in for cleaning today. Should be bck sometime next week. UIM will be going in for Powder coating as soon as it comes bck from a DEEP cleaning. Gonna go with Candy Apple Red.
Still can't figure out what color I wanna do the Valve Covers tho. Will post up some pics when I get the parts back.

EDIT: Unless you get a key with the PCM the PATS system will not allow you to start the car until your key is programmed for it which must be done at a dealer, also you may want to list your year as that will help me tell you other info you may need.
I have a 99 SE

Ok well then you have internal PATS, so you can't use an E0 PCM, like RLJ1, so check PCM tuning section sticky to see which you'll need, also different for fuel rails (early 99's had return which was 2 rails, later had returnless, 1 rail but you should look to make sure because you'll need a return or returnless PCM based on what you have. Also note that the PCM will not like 2 PATS keys at once, I had to wrap tin foil around the black part of my key and hold the one coded to the PCM up to the lock cylinder to start it. While this works, it's a pain and sometimes you have to readjust the tin foil, I tried to get a non-PATS blank made but they are not thin enough to work. Again, if you don't get a key with the PCM, you'll have to tow the car to Ford to have your reprogrammed.

So far I've come up with this (Contour (nonSVT)/1999/2.5L/AZB0/17#/Return/Auto) and this (Contour SE/1999/2.5L/LTZ3/17#/Return/MTX) I have an MTX!! I'm just gonna unbolt mine 2morow and find out exactly wich one I have. WOW this gets confusing!!!!

That's the same PCM code I had, you will need an SFG0 or (what I got) SFG2, both are internal PATS and return style. You do not need to check your PCM to see which one you have, simply look at the fuel rail itself, like I said, return style has 2 lines to the rail that are visible without taking anything off, returnless only has one.

EDIT: Confirmed as per PCM tuning sticky, these 2 will work for you, others are either returnless or external PATs:

CSVT E1/1998/2.5L HO/SFG0/19#/Return
CSVT early/1999/2.5L HO/SFG2/19#/Return

Did the SE's come in both return style and returnless? Reason being is I bought a returnless system. I hope this wont be a problem.

Yeah, but a switch to returnless will require a returnless PCM, fuel pump and IIRC sender unit as well. LIM does not care return or returnless, but you may want to sell that, fuel rail wasn't different on the SVT anyway, use your old one, but you'll need orange 19# injectors, not green ones, the connector harness is different, so you'll need to swap pigtails as well.

I have the #19 injectors. So if I'm reading you right, I can use the old rail then with the #19 injectors with the different pig tails.

Yeah the injectors don't care, but the green injectors are EV6 connectors, whereas the ones on your rail are EV1 connectors, so they'll have to be changed, but otherwise it doesn't matter. EV6 connectors can be pulled from any returnless Contour, so junkyard is your best and cheapest bet.

Woo Hoo!!!!! Parts are almost fully done with there Acid bath at the machine shop. Had UIM,LIM, and both heads done. Came out looking almost brand new. UIM is very nasty tho due to the ERG valve. Will be purchasing the delete kit for it soon. Def don't like the idea of the nasty a$$ exhaust going bck into the UIM. Going back next week to finish up with the UIM. Gonna bead blast the inside of the UIM to get the rest of the crap out, and then another acid bath! Should do the trick. Also had to pull out 6 of the intake valves just to get the nasty a$$ caked on crud out. (fun fun) Threw some pics up to check out for you guys/gals.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_163034.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_163023.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_162748.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_162652.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_162628.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_162621.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_162549.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_162511.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Jim_Brooks74/IMG_20110701_162414.jpg

IMG_20110701_163034.jpg

IMG_20110701_163023.jpg

IMG_20110701_162748.jpg

IMG_20110701_162652.jpg

IMG_20110701_162628.jpg

IMG_20110701_162621.jpg

IMG_20110701_162549.jpg

IMG_20110701_162511.jpg

IMG_20110701_162414.jpg

Sad day this past Friday, The woman and I decided to get the hell out of the house for once and have a good time with some old friends. Had a great nite dinner and movie until the drive home.
Only a block away from the homested mid left turn,when someone decides to blow through there red light hitting me in the drivers side front fender. Thank god we are ok, only a couple of bumps and brusies, to say the most. So I go and check on the other driver, and low and behold there I see on the pass side floor NOT 1 NOT 2 but 3... yes 3 half empty bottles of booze.
Not to mention the horible alcahol smell wafting from the car. Long story short, the guy couldn't even stand right for the field test the cops were giving him, so they arrested him right then and there. This is why I Don't Drink AT ALL!! I'm the type of person that wont even touch my phone while I'm driving either. So there goes the SeVT project! Maybe now I can start looking for a REAL SVT that needs some TLC to play with. lmao

That is really too bad. Don't give up on the project even if it's with a different car. You have almost all it would take to refresh an SVT if you can find one that needs a little work. I hate hearing stories like this, it's good you are all OK.

I was actualy thinking about finding a real SVT and doing the 3L swap, or one that's already done up!
That is a good idea considering you are starting with a different car. It's another step up from what you were originally working on too. Basically instead of going from 170 to 200 crank hp you'll be something along the lines of 170 up to 230~. Most 3L swaps do about 190-200 at the wheels tuned, I would say that's a noticeable increase from the SE.

Back