• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

senior project findings... y-pipe/high flow cat...

SVT

CEG'er
Next year is my final year at penn college of technology and my senior project was to run my car on the school dyno and compare results with the stock exhaust and the trubendz highflow ypipe and cat. I compared wHP and wTorque...

My findings were that I lost HP and torque on the low end but gained it on the high end.... I gained the HP and torque at around 90+ MPH...

As result, if you aren't going to do a lot of highspeed "racing", at around 90+ MPH this mod, atleast for me, is useless...

I am not real happy with the results but I am happy that I could bring this information to you guys, which you may have known or didn't know already..

Though the schools dyno numbers are false, the dyno here is still good for comparing numbers... :laugh:

so you gained power from ~5000 RPM up, since you cant gain power at a specific road speed only at specific RPMs. this means you get that gain in every gear, so it will pull a little harder up top, which is where the SVT likes to be at anyways. :shrug:

so you gained power from ~5000 RPM up, since you cant gain power at a specific road speed only at specific RPMs. this means you get that gain in every gear, so it will pull a little harder up top, which is where the SVT likes to be at anyways. :shrug:

Hahahaha good point :laugh::laugh:.

But.....I don't typically beat my car though :shrug:.

Problem is you didn't adjust the timing for the rear bank being removed.
Also the cat does take away...remove that cat...and the results will be a bit better for the lower end. :)

Problem is you didn't adjust the timing for the rear bank being removed.
Also the cat does take away...remove that cat...and the results will be a bit better for the lower end. :)

Yep, increasing the exhaust flow without any tuning is causing you to run rich. Did you have a wideband on it on the dyno?

Yep, increasing the exhaust flow without any tuning is causing you to run rich. Did you have a wideband on it on the dyno?

I did not... the schools dyno is old and the software is old and inaccurate...only good for the simple stuff and comparing data. :laugh:

It is what it is, im not going to worry. :)

Back