• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Seafoam and UIM

Mitch

New CEG'er
I can't get the vacuum line off. The tube is hard plastic and won't budge. I just cracked the plastic around it trying to get it off with a pair of pliers and a rag.
CA6120FA-D29C-4921-9B30-EEAEEABF4B03-2576-0000022A2A06A98E.jpg
at a loss

Hey Mitch; you see the silver clip at the base of the tube... where it goes in the manifold ?

It works like a chinese finger trap. You need to press it down, so that you can pull the tube out. I use circlip or snap ring pliers or needle nose pliers.

Remember to pull the tube straight.. otherwise it could snap...... a little wd 40 and a wiggle helps too GL .... G.

Damn thanks. I haven't encountered that on a car before. I pulled the brake booster end and put about 8 oz of seafoam until it started dieseling. I let it sit and fired it up expecting it to blow me away with the smoke show like normal and apparently it was clean. I got a few puffs and I could smell the seafoam burning but it must've been done before he sold it. I've seafoamed my Honda rebel and my Trailblazer a few times before and I knew how and had good experiences doing it; I just had it on my list of things with this car. Good sign I suppose. The throttle body was disgusting though. Took almost a bottle of carb cleaner and a ton of elbow grease to get it clean.

yep, a lot of gunk builds up in the intakes of this engine.

If you want a long term solution ... remove the oil breather pipe from under the throttle body, along with the breather from the front rocker cover that goes into the intake.... and run them to a catch tank.

You can also use seafoam in your oil. I've recently removed several sumps and i can recommend cleaning the sump and valve covers before using seafoam in your oil.... otherwise you might just transport carbon/coke deposits to the fine oilways that lubricate the cam. followers and chain tensioners.... G.

Back