• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rust

I just discovered rust underneath the gas door. Its right above were the bumper meets. I also have a small amount of rust on under my drivers rear door. Underneath the door skin. The rust is still smooth and is not grainy and breakable. Its still very intact. It must have just started. I am not happy to find rust on my car. What do i need to do to stop it?

Good thing you saw it before it gets worse. Under the door simply grind down the rust to the bare metal and prime it and paint over it. The key to get rid of rust is to get it down to bare metal. If you dont it will come back.

yeap, make sure you get it all too, Ive always been told to to grind down to bare metal and go a good 2 or 3 inches past where the rust has been, so theres no chance of it coming back. I touched up a spot last summer, but some must have been up and under the the rear quarter panel because it came back this year.

grind it down to bare metal then put some rust convertor on it. this will convert the rust thats left that you can't see to a primer. paint it right after it is done curing and it won't come back. I had a 91 explorer with rust on the tailgate that kept coming back after i kept sanding and painting it and after i hit it with rust convertor it stayed gone. Do not get the spray can stuff- it is useless from my expirience. get the stuff that paints on- i got it at Napa and it works great.

Back