• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Running fans all the time and wondering how to make it low speed

ilovesvt

Veteran CEG'er
Well im running my fans full time because something is wrong with the wires, i dont want to mess with it because it could be anything,so i got a newer harness at the junk yard and built a sub harness from it running stock clips/wires from both fans to the battery. My question is when modding my fan to do this do i hook the resistor up to the power wire in my subharness so i can run low speed setting on the fans or is there another trick to make them go low speed full time,i wont have a need to have high speed since im deleting my total a/c system. Also in the cold winter time can i unplug one fan and be okay so im not running 2 full time fans lol without overheating ? Thanks guys any help would be awsome

1998 Csvt EO

iirc all of the fan harnesses are the same. just swap it and let the fans run as they are suppose to.

otherwise you will need a wiring diagram to figure out what you are asking. also the high speed fans don't just come on for the AC ....

Nah im tired of messing with this car,these fans dont turn on at all ever,not going to diagnose it or mess with it,its easier for me to just run the fans all the time and be done with it,did it on my turbo 240sx it wont hurt in texas lol its hot.....im taking all the old fan and a/c wires out and compressor,dryer a/c lines and all that junk i dont need itll make it look cleaner there too freaken wires everywhere lol.....guess ill just run both fans in the summer if i drive it and unplug one fan when it gets super cold. Thanks

if you are tired of messing with the car make it work like stock.

and, fyi, the fans are suppose to both run together, both low speed or both high speed. They may not run for a number of reasons, some with simple fixes iirc. The info is easily found in the troubleshooting forum.

fixing it correctly >>>>> some cheap fix/hack/etc

^ x2

He's right. Most likely cause is the resistor on the bottom corner of the fan shroud or the Coolant temperature sensor not functioning. Both of which are super easy repairs. Do a quick search and you'll find plenty of info on both.

Back