• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

roof trim seals

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
I realize that there has been no luck in finding new roof trim seals, judging by the previous posts on the subject.

For what its worth while in the junkyard, I looked at the various Ford/Mercury vehicles to see if any of the seals were similar in shape and size, but no luck.

After removing the roof trim seal to repair rust damage, I found that Ford used sticky goop (??) to help anchor the seal down. Is there a good way to remove this when cleaning ? I found that 70% isopropyl alcohol helps, but isnt real great in helping get this junk out.

For bonus points, what should I use when I re-seal the spot weld line ? From reading the factory manual, I am guessing something like "liquid butyl sealer C9AZ-19554B" ? Anyone know for sure ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Cant be much help, but I have a perfect set to put on and Im looking to know the answer for attachment myself. Its almost like wax consistency.

The goopy stuff is probably some sort of weather sealer. This is distinct from the sealer used to close the weld line. If you look into the channel, you can tell that under the paint there is some sort of semi-felxible polymer seal over the joint line. On top of that is the sticky goop.

So where did you get the trim seals from ?

Mad Dog

Found a nice set ? Each one of those seals has to be 10+ years old. Thats a great score though.

Mad Dog

Since you apparently have the Last Good Set of Trim Seals on Earth, you might want to put those roof trim pieces on them that you see on Ebay. Or maybe some light coat of black polymer.

Mad Dog

roof seals

roof seals

I thought about it, but I dont know how long silicone (RTV ?) would last in the sun.

Mad Dog

I think thats the same stuff thats used to seal the seam, so it wouldnt be a bad candidiate.

Mad Dog

I'm the furthest thing from a body expert, is there any reason that the channel cant be filled with bondo then sanded smooth and painted?

Filling with bondo could be done but I would bet that you will have small cracks right along the edges of the grove. I would use bondo to fill the joint but not try to smooth the joint into the roof line. Make it look like the OEM seal. The urethane sealer for windshields also seems like it may work. It's flexible, sticks very well. cheap, and available. I'm just not sure how well it will hold up to the sun, etc over time. But then again the OEM seal doesn't do that well either.

asked out glass guy today, he told me he uses the sealer to make moldings on some jeeps, just shapes it with a razor blade.
when I paint my car I think I'm going to ask him to do the roof seams

Back