• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rocker panel question...

t1990

New CEG'er
Hey, have a few newbie questions I'm doing the body work on the rocker panels/fenders and touch ups here and there but as far as the rocker panels go I am looking for something to protect them from salt eating them for breakfest,lunch and dinner any ideas? I considered a plastic trim but the rockers aren't flat but this is what I mean my friends Cb7 has them and helps the car alot considering its at 270 000km's and its a 91. Thanks

3064_67904424428_505394428_1444185_.jpg

I can speak from experience in saying that using aluminum flashing and seam sealer isn't worth the hassle. We used a thin aluminum flashing on my car, and it is impossible to tuck it into the door jambs without it wanting to snap (need to screw it in while the seam sealer sets, then you remove the screws and seal the holes later...)

I'll let you know how bondo works, however.

I am assuming you live in Canada from your use of kms in describing your friend's vehicle mileage.

I have had a lot of experience with the rust demon, as my father was patchin his cars when I was a young lad. I patched my own cars when my turn came, but farmed out the big jobs to metal fabricators.

The only way to kill rust in existing metal is to remove the rust or the metal in question. It's like cancer -- you have to cut it out, or you can only slow it. This means getting rid of part of the panel, or snadblasting. Get something on there to seal it as fast as possible -- if any moisture is present, it will start on exposed metal very quickly.

Bondo isn't a great answer as it is porous -- it has to be painted to seal it, and keep moisture out.

POR-15 is good stuff, and it adheres very well to metal to stop rust from happening any further --in fact it likes a little bit of rust on the metal to help it grab. For some areas, they actually make a POR putty that can be used to rebuild some smaller problems. But, and this is important, POR-15 must be used correctly in order for it to work. I let some stuff slide the first time I used it, and some rust continued to work.

As for the plastic cladding, it does NOT help. It captures moisture and stops it from draining and evaporating as quickly, thus making cars MORE prone to rust. Ever notice how the rust usually starts at seams or where cladding is held on to the metal by clips and the like? This is why.

If the work is already done, your best bet is an anti rust treatment such as Krown. Otherwise the repairs will be short lived.

Good luck.

Thanks guys for the input! I'm thinking I'll do the body work it's still surface rust before it gets worse and then repaint also get it undercoated (oil sprayed) and then clean it when I can in the winter.

Rocker panel is never surface rust. It rusts from the inside-out. Dirt and moisture gets trapped inside the panel...

Rocker panel is never surface rust. It rusts from the inside-out. Dirt and moisture gets trapped inside the panel...

the outer part of the panel is surface rust there is no noticeable rust anywhere else it's getting sanded down this weekend where it was undercoated it got most of the inner rocker panel where it holds the salt and dirt and slush/moisture It's pretty clean. P.S what I mean by surface rust there is no holes or deep cancer so that's a big advantage of repairing it.

For your sake I hope you're right...do you have paint bubbles?

No Sir, no rust coming in from behind and the original paint seems to be ok in the places that were a concern of mine behind and the the bolts where it mounts I took that apart and check between its not rusted there I'll take some pictures tonight and show the progress in a different thread thanks for the advice and I'll let you know if i run into trouble

Back