• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing Side Skirts

ancientsanskrit

Hard-core CEG'er
I was removing the fuel filter on the weekend and will be removing the side skirts off of an SVT very soon. Are there any special tools required? I figure aside from the angled channels they are simply screwed from behind?

Is it a simple phillips screwdriver job?

No they have body fasteners in the bottom. You'll need a fastener remover or you can pry them off with a flathead screw driver

On the body fasteners, if you have a very fine tipped pick type tool you can pry out the center. Then you pry the body of the fastener out and you can usually reuse it.

You will invariably break some of the plastic push pins, they get old and crack easily, take one to an automotive trim shop and buy a handful of new ones. Once all the pushpins on the bottom and against the front and rear fender edges are out, you can lift the whole skirt off the retaining clips that are riveted to the rocker panel. If they haven't been off for awhile, be prepared to find some interesting stuff.

I've since drilled some 1/2" drain and debris holes in the bottoms of my skirts.

Yea if you go under wear goggles i took some off and dirt fell and went in my eye and it sucks lol

but you probably already took them off by now just saw the date

Back