• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Redneck Performance - AKA Free

srt4 motor swap? lol seriously though why don't you just take the res out and weld in a cheapo muffler?
Because that costs money and the money would be wasted when I buy a good muffler or go with a SVT catback.

i had a full 2.5" catback exhaust bent, welded, and installed with a muffler for $50 (it sounded pretty damn good too). if you cant afford $50 to do it right the first time then you need to stop modding the car.

ziptieing the filter to the MAF is dangerous. the heat from the engine bay can/will destroy the zipties and the filter will fall off allowing lots of unfiltered air into the system. please, for the sake of your engine, go buy a cone air filter. even if its one of the cheap ones from pepboys/autozone. better yet, spend the $40-50 on a focus intake from ebay.

like i said, if you cant afford to do it right the first time, then wait till you can.

ziptieing the filter to the MAF is dangerous. the heat from the engine bay can/will destroy the zipties and the filter will fall off allowing lots of unfiltered air into the system

I just saw this. Just thought I'd throw out there that I fished 3 zipties from my engine two days ago alone. That should speak for itself.

I just saw this. Just thought I'd throw out there that I fished 3 zipties from my engine two days ago alone. That should speak for itself.

yeah but where those not cut? and I think they came off your possitive battery cable.

It would take a long time for an intake with no filter to cause real damage. Unless his engine bay is coated with loose sand that may somehow find its way into the intake. If you're gonna ziptie the air filter and people think its dangerous just don't use a filter till you can afford a good one. I don't think It'll hurt unless you do it for like 15,000 miles.....

It would take a long time for an intake with no filter to cause real damage. Unless his engine bay is coated with loose sand that may somehow find its way into the intake. If you're gonna ziptie the air filter and people think its dangerous just don't use a filter till you can afford a good one. I don't think It'll hurt unless you do it for like 15,000 miles.....
Um please do not ever tell someone to do this again. One chunk of foreign debris and you can kill or severely wound a motor.

Um please do not ever tell someone to do this again. One chunk of foreign debris and you can kill or severely wound a motor.

Think for a second and tell me the lengths the chunk of debris would have to go through to even get into his UIM. I know, you'll say even if its remotely possible you shouldn't do it but I mean, if you're going for the "redneck" mods then I think its appropriate.

You have to remember, we are talking zetecs here, not v6's. It is not smart to ever run without a filter on the road. Sitting in a driveway or dynoing might be one thing, but on the road you want to keep things clean. You'd be screwed if you forgot and drove past a windy beach.

One came off from there, but the other two had been sitting there previously. No cutting involved. :)

didn't notice.

and to the OP how about you cut the stock airbox back to do what you did but use part of what is left to ratain the filter like stock?

I'm going to when I can get my hands on another zetec airbox. I want to keep the one i have in one peice. Hopefully I can get a decent job and won't need to run it this way.

I'm going to when I can get my hands on another zetec airbox. I want to keep the one i have in one peice. Hopefully I can get a decent job and won't need to run it this way.
ive got an extra stock airbox you can have. PM me an offer if you want it.

Back