• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear suspension clunking

Dyoel182

Addicted CEG'er
My SVT has developed a clunk that seems to be coming from the rear end and is only audible at slow speeds when weight is transferring side to side. Because of that I thought maybe the rear sway but that's locked up tight and the subframe is tight too.

Would it be more likely that my lower trailing arm bushings are shot or could I have a rear hub that's killed itself? I'm not getting any hum or vibration like it's a bearing.

Under the car nothing looked obviously wrong. I was able to twist the trailing arm which I assume means the bushings are toast but I couldn't get anything to make a similar clunk noise but as I backed off the ramps it did it. It kinda sounds like something is binding up and then pushing free.

The trailing arm bushings are really mushy even when they are good. It's not outside the realm of possibility that you could use a new set.

I have massive rear control arms and when the ends were worn out it sounded like a two by four bouncing around in the trunk
I know you don't have these parts but just point out that grabbing those arms when they were on the car they didn't seem worn out
Even off the car it was hard to feel any play..but by replacing them...everything was factory new

The trailing arm bushings are really mushy even when they are good. It's not outside the realm of possibility that you could use a new set.

They are currently mushy enough that I can twist the arm both ways at both ends. I haven't been by the dealership yet to look at an exploded diagram but I called up to AutoZone and the only part they seem to list is the trailing arm bushing. Nothing for the control arms.

I have massive rear control arms and when the ends were worn out it sounded like a two by four bouncing around in the trunk
I know you don't have these parts but just point out that grabbing those arms when they were on the car they didn't seem worn out
Even off the car it was hard to feel any play..but by replacing them...everything was factory new

Front arm or rear arm?

Back