• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear reflector help

BlackE1

Veteran CEG'er
I have some ideas with leds and the rear reflector.
Does anyone know a way to remove the reflector from its housing. I have the whole thing off the car already but don’t see a way to remove just the red reflector.

Any ideas or hints??

You will most likely need to dremel this apart as the glue is pretty intense. The taillights are the same way, they cant be easily baked open like the headlights can.

Good luck with your projects, keep us updated :)

Geta seond one man, The king of Engine-nuity himself Chris Highower tried this many moons ago and never succeeded. You don't have to much room to play back there

Last edited:
I think I will try to contact Chris to get some advice before re doing everything he has already done. Maybe this way one of us will succeed.

Anyone know if he’s still around, I think I remember him only being here now and then.

i've tried getting them apart with no such luck. good luck man. i must have tried a different method on 4 different reflectors.

baking a little at a time and slowly prying, baking them for a longer period of time with low heat(seeing theres no chrome you can damage) and then prying, using a dremel(had it all apart but had no way to reseal properly), and one i screwed up so bad i just beat it with a hammer

gotta be a way!

gotta be a way!

i gotta try this...just noticed that i have standing water in my reflector! i sure that is there is room for water to stand and slosh around in there that there is plenty room for a few LEDs...i will keep you all updated on any progress(or failures) that i have...in the mean time i cud use any extras if anyone wants to donate...i will pay shipping.:ponder:

i gotta try this...just noticed that i have standing water in my reflector! i sure that is there is room for water to stand and slosh around in there that there is plenty room for a few LEDs...i will keep you all updated on any progress(or failures) that i have...in the mean time i cud use any extras if anyone wants to donate...i will pay shipping.:ponder:

Any luck as I am in the process my self of making a functional reflector myself.

I'm picking up a reflector with the same idea this week. Will work on it a lil here and a little there. I'm not sure if it will work seeing how every thread I read about this idea usually ended with a hammer. Best of luck to us.

Back