• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear rattle

az5oh

CEG'er
Ok, I've recently (~5k mi ago) replaced my rear anti-roll bar mounting bushings and end link/bushing assemblies with new Moog units. The car also has relatively new Koni yellows and Eibach springs

It has the most annoying rattle coming from the rear end. I figured that it was the end links, but that doesn't appear to have fixed the problem much. Any ideas?

Beyond double checking that everything is tight (fasteners do come loose from time to time) - don't see how else you can find the source unless you get under the car and start jiggling parts to see what clunks :/

Is your spare tire (if you have one) fastened completely? I know I have clunking from worn out suspension parts but I also have a loose spare tire so I get tons of rattling and clunking from my rear lol..I need to replace my struts etc @_@

What about gas tank? Have you checked the condition of the straps?

Might be other bushings on the rear suspension being dead unless you've swapped em..but I am no expert in the least lol

rattiling normaly is exhaust, not many parts "rattle" in that sense... I would say check the obvious stuff first..

Also keep in mind it will take about a month for the springs/struts to "settle" in their final place.. this COULD be what your hearing..them just kinda of settling in..

Depending on how stiff everything is, that might just be part of the body/frame flexing a bit at a certain point..causing you to hear "rattle"

again just check to make sure all your exhaust hangers are there.. the piping is not sitting against anything it can "tap" up to once your moving..(your exhaust WILL move around about n inch or so each way due to it being on hangers and the force of the motor moving/torque being transmitted.)

Does the sound track with speed??

just seeing what sticks...

Check that the isolators on the parking brake cables are in the correct location. Otherwise the cable is rubbing on the drag link and will cause you to have to replace the cable(s).

Thank you everyone. First, I should probably have strayed from using the word 'rattle.' What I mean is a clunk - something that sounds similar to the same sound as worn sway bar end links make. Struts have approx 20k miles on them, so it shouldn't be a settling issue. Any ideas given this alternate description?

Back