• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rear drum for disk change out

Zipp734

CEG'er
I have a 99 SE with rear drums and am changing it out for disks. Anything that I should be aware of beyond the obvious. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has.

I did a drum to disk conversion in my 99 SE, took me about 6 hours.

Heres what you need:

- Brand new Parking brake cables for disc brakes
- both rear Disk brake hubs from any other Disc brake contour (95-00 non svt)
- Calipers and brackets from the same rear disc contour, you might be best off buying new calipers, just to be sure that the ones you get arent failing or leaking.
- obviously brand new rotors and pads

You will need to jimmy stuff around to get it all to fit properly, but replacing the hubs really isnt that hard of a task, its about 5 bolts to take the hub down, most of which are 15mm, the pinch bolt on the strut is a 17 or an 18 mm (GET A LONG BREAKER BAR!)

the only hard part to the rear disc conversion is getting the parking brake cables swapped, I ended up cutting mine and never installing them, but you need to drop the exhaust, and drop down the heat shield above the exhaust system where the parking brake cables lead to, there is one big fat cable (coming from the handle) and 2 smaller cables that branch off to your wheels on either side.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. But doing a Drum to disk conversion isnt as simple as taking off the drums and putting discs and calipers on.

I also will say, that the most cost effective way to do this; is making a junk yard run and getting most of the parts, otherwise it gets super costly, and almost isn't really worth it.

I'm in the middle of doing a rear disc conversion on my brother's 95 Mystique. So far it hasn't been fun, but that's just because of rust. I'd say it's an easy swap with the right tools.

Getting the parts of my parts car, the pinch bolt on the rear passenger rounded off the head yesterday. :mad: I removed the entire assembly with the strut and it had to be grinded off. Now that it's off, I have to drill out the old bolt and re-tap it.

It's becoming a big project after getting all the parts removed and ready for the swap. I still have to sand down and paint some parts as well just adding to the time to do the swap.

Like Alias said, don't bother buying new parts. Too expensive for a minor upgrade. Find the parts here on the forums or from a local junk yard. You want new pads, rotors, and maybe cables, but everything else used.

I got a whole rear assembly from the junk yard ($95). It has new bearings, rotor, calipers on it (I say less then 500 miles on them). The rotors don't have any more then surface rust on them. I took apart the knuckle from the assembly. I will flush out the calipers and blast the knuckle and calipers today. Here is the catch.. I want to replace the struts and springs since i am doing all this other work. Any suggestions for that. Thanks for the input

Today I got started on my change out. So far so good. I have sprayed everything down with PB and am going to get everything unbolted in the morning. I hope the rust issue is not a real problem. I will take photos along the way and post them.

Back