• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

quick question

MarcMiller

Veteran CEG'er
i went to an exhaust shop nd the guy was talking to me about how i want a new exhaust on my se. Well the guy said instead of me buying all new pipes and everything that he can make me a y pipe out of what i have now and just remove my resonator and install new mufflers.

now since my pipes are gonna be the same what is the best muffler i should get?

i liked the non-resonated magnaflow vid in the sound clips thread but iidk if it will sound like that.

should i get borla mufflers?

the guy was telling me i need back pressure to make the healthy sound..he also said something about maybe using turbo mufflers..im not sure what they are.

i dont want a ricebox sound i want a nice deep loud one..not to loud.
looking to hear it when idleing but not to much.

what do you think help me out...its hard deciding when i dont know what the outcome will be...maybe you guys will know.

the guy was telling me i need back pressure to make the healthy sound..he also said something about maybe using turbo mufflers..im not sure what they are.

Once someone uses the words needs and backpressure in the same sentence, stop listening.

That being said, if you are just adding a y-pipe and looking for a better sound, a pair of turbo mufflers will sound fine and be a cheap way to get the sound you are looking for without creating significant restriction.

Once someone uses the words needs and backpressure in the same sentence, stop listening.

That being said, if you are just adding a y-pipe and looking for a better sound, a pair of turbo mufflers will sound fine and be a cheap way to get the sound you are looking for without creating significant restriction.

I wanted a magnaflow muffler type of sound..will it be like that?
What do you mean about restriction?

Do you have any more info on what he wants to do with your y-pipe? Is he going to follow the optimization guide or just wing it once he's under there?

I wanted a magnaflow muffler type of sound..will it be like that?
What do you mean about restriction?

If you want a magnaflow muffler sound, you need a straight through muffler, since that is probably the magnaflow muffler sound you are thinking of. A turbo muffler will give you a slightly louder more agressive sound. When I say they wont create a restriction, I mean that they wont hinder exhaust flow.

Look back at your last thread for some more information. I am just saying that a turbo muffler would be a good choice for your particular application since they are cheap, and if you arent making other changes to the exhaust right now, other than adding the Y at the back, then you dont need to go nuts about flow. If budget is a concern for you, then what your exhaust guy is suggesting is gonna be the best route for you.

Anything beyond what he is suggesting is not gonna make any improvements unless you make changes to more of your exhaust system, which means spending more.

Do you have any more info on what he wants to do with your y-pipe? Is he going to follow the optimization guide or just wing it once he's under there?

he just said since my current pipes are still good he is going to cut a whole in my current pipes and make a custom y pipe. Thats all i heard so far.

If you want a magnaflow muffler sound, you need a straight through muffler, since that is probably the magnaflow muffler sound you are thinking of. A turbo muffler will give you a slightly louder more agressive sound. When I say they wont create a restriction, I mean that they wont hinder exhaust flow.

Look back at your last thread for some more information. I am just saying that a turbo muffler would be a good choice for your particular application since they are cheap, and if you arent making other changes to the exhaust right now, other than adding the Y at the back, then you dont need to go nuts about flow. If budget is a concern for you, then what your exhaust guy is suggesting is gonna be the best route for you.

Anything beyond what he is suggesting is not gonna make any improvements unless you make changes to more of your exhaust system, which means spending more.

maybe the turbo will sound alittle better
Just buy my stock SVT mufflers and have them put on, cheaper and correct fit.
-J

I wanted some aftermarket sound.

I really liked the sound of my SVT with stock y-pipe and cat resonator delete and flowmaster 40 series. a cheep substitute for the mufflers are welded thrush mufflers advance is suppose to have them for around $25 apiece the flowmaster are more like $80 apiece

it was nice sound pretty quiet at idle yet more muscular but when you were driving spririted the sound just made me love driving the car

it had a nice muscle car sound I didn't have any problme with rasp or drone sound wise I like it better than the Magnaflows as I have a car with straight through nagnaflows with the resonator deleted it sounds more ricer but still very subtle and only when you get on it

he just said since my current pipes are still good he is going to cut a whole in my current pipes and make a custom y pipe. Thats all i heard so far.

maybe the turbo will sound alittle better
Just buy my stock SVT mufflers and have them put on, cheaper and correct fit.
-J

I wanted some aftermarket sound..although i do wish it would add horsepower.

I really liked the sound of my SVT with stock y-pipe and cat resonator delete and flowmaster 40 series. a cheep substitute for the mufflers are welded thrush mufflers advance is suppose to have them for around $25 apiece the flowmaster are more like $80 apiece

it was nice sound pretty quiet at idle yet more muscular but when you were driving spririted the sound just made me love driving the car

it had a nice muscle car sound I didn't have any problme with rasp or drone sound wise I like it better than the Magnaflows as I have a car with straight through nagnaflows with the resonator deleted it sounds more ricer but still very subtle and only when you get on it

thats what im looking to get my car sounding like. Not a racing sound bit a nice idle and coast and also sound real good and loud.

Its to bad you aren't closer I could really help you with your exhaust,It sounds like you will end up with a factory stainless pipe on one side and a mess on the other side .But best of luck I hope I'am wrong

Back