• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Questions around Drag Oriented Tires

djfourmoney

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I was wondering about something...

I used some 23x8x15 slicks from M&H tires on my SRT-4. My best 60ft time was 1.75 with over 300ft of torque (stock turbo).

There's limited information about the right diameter slicks or drag radials for either the Cougar or the Contour. The shorter slicks (based on the fact that the 17" wheels and tire on the SRT-4 were 25" tall) helped with the gearing in the car.

Also slicks are much easier on your suspension and axles since they absorb the shock from suspension movement that normally causes wheel hop (among other things).

As I'm looking to pick up a CSVT, I would like to take it to the strip to see what it does and I am spoiled by using slicks that I won't even entertain using street tires at the strip.

Can anybody shed any light on this subject?

Unless the car your looking at getting has a Quafe or Torsen, launching it at the strip on slicks is a bad idea. Even people with built trans and axles have had bad luck. Also, assuming its stock, it would seem rather silly to buy slicks for a car that will only fun a mid-to high 15 seconds 1/4.

That being said, I believe that Demon (or DemonsSVT something like that) used slicks when he made his 13.2 pass. Try searching for him, he had a website that had some info about his car.

Back