• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

questions about the oil filter and pan

SVT#4967

CEG'er
I was looking at the oil filter location and the drain bolt when I was looking at my leaking power steering lines (getting ready to replace). I haven't done and oil change as the car has only been driven about 300 miles since I bought it a couple months ago. The oil filter doesn't look too bad but not the best either so I was thinking about doing a relocation on it but had some questions...

Has anyone done this to their 2.5L Contour? I searched but didn't see anything in either the new or old forums.

What is the thread size of the filter and the o-ring diameter as well?

Had a couple ideas of maybe where to mount the filter but haven't looked into much just yet since I was wondering what way is best to mount a remote filter? vertical, horizontal, ect.?

Should the filter be mounted above, below or level with original location? Does it matter for flow/drainage?

Just looking to make it a bit easier and cleaner to change the filter and do an oil change. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Also, I've read a lot about over filling the oil and oil starvation in sweeping right hand turns. I was looking at CTA's website and saw they have an upgraded oil pan from Ford from the newer engines. I may be removing the oil pan in some upcoming work I may be doing on the engine and was wondering if this would be a worth while investment? I dont plan to be doing any autocrossing or anything like that but I have been known to have some fun on the on/off ramps and that. I just want to make sure nothing bad happens is all.

The car is a 1998 SVT Contour with ~130k miles. The car is all stock and well maintained. The original owner said it didn't burn any oil, had regular oil changes with Mobile1 synthetic and Mobile1 filter and the oil looks clean on the dip stick.

Thanks

I knew it had to of been done before I just couldn't find it.

I was searching for things like "remote oil filter" and the like. I don't know why I didn't think to use "relocation". Oh well, Thanks!

ok, so after reading that thread as well as a couple others this is what I've gotten, please correct me if I'm wrong...

-the stock filter uses a thread size of 12mmx1.5 with ~2.5" o-ring diamter?
-most of the relocation kits use a 3/4-16 thread and recommend using the Motorcraft FL-1A filter?
-everyone seemed to mount the filter vertical, so I assume this is the best way to mount it for performance (and cleanliness while removing it)?
-it was meantioned in one thread to mount the filter and route the lines as close to level with the stock location to minimize extra effort to push the oil through the lines?

also, about the oil pan... is it a worth while investment to replace it with the updated version?

I've been searching and I can't find what car the "updated" oil pan is from. Can someone answer this for me?

All I've seen is in 2003 Ford updated the Duratec oil pans baffling to improve oil control. I've also seen numerous comments about people having the updated oil pans but I can't find what year/model Ford they came from.

yeah, I saw that same oil pan on CTA which got me thinking and searching.

But I figured I would look around and see if I could find it elsewhere for cheaper. Thats why I wanted to know what car it came from.

Back