• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about 3L conversion

hoodwanka

CEG'er
Okay after doing some surfing I think I've decided I want to upgrade to a three liter. I like the hybrid because of its stock look so that's the 3l setup I'd prefer. I've never pulled an engine or anything close to that magnitude on a car. Okay so the question is would it be easier for me to do something like this:

http://www.3lduratec.com/main.html
or this:
http://www.fordcontour.org/topic/12035-stage-3-motorworks-stimulus-package/

Or would it be more worth it for me to get something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-0...d|Year:2004&hash=item2eaf3d12e6#ht_3265wt_964

Basically what I'm getting at is would it be better for me to get a ready made set up that would be easier to a novice, or would I be better saving money (if any at all)?

Thanks for the help!

Ported 3Ls and Hybrid 3Ls retain the stock top end like you want.

Your link choices are up to you. We can't tell you how to spend your money.

Ported 3Ls and Hybrid 3Ls retain the stock top end like you want.

Your link choices are up to you. We can't tell you how to spend your money.

Right I understand that I was just wondering if anybody had any experience making that choice before. Thanks for your input.

Like Fuz said both the port match 3L and hybrid look stock but there are different things you will have to go through on each one and which is better is a personal preference. If you have the mechanical skill to work on an engine yourself then I would say do it, if not then buying one already made is not a bad idea. I don't have the room or tools to pull an engine so I'm having a shop pull the whole assembly from the bottom and then I'll attach the 3L to it and they will reistall it and they're only charging me like $400. I am sure you can find a similar deal if you can't pull the engine but want to do the work on it.

Thanks RAD, yeah the AAFES auto hobby shop here you can rent bays to work on cars here, and you can leave your projects until you're finished. I know a few guys who have decent experience so I think I've got the facility and help to do it on my own. You're in boulder though right? What shop are you using?

Oh you're in colorado too Sweet! I have a friend in berthoud who helps me out whenever I need it and I gave him a call asked if he would do it and keep my car on his lot and maybe a little body work while it's there and he's happy to do it. I've done business with him before if you know any body who is willing to work with you on it it's not a bad idea. Where is this AAFES place?

You are lucky you have that available. I wish I could do mine but I'm happy enough my parents are letting me do the engine build in their garage. (Hell yea I live with my parents!)

Soo nice to see all these 3L contours popping up in colorado, Im still the only one I know of with a cougar tho. And X2 on building engines in the parents garage, my dad was nice enough to build a 3 car garage at our new house for my car to have a spot to sit while its broken like it is right now. Where are you located hoodwanka? Im here in Denver and have no problem helping either of you guys. I did the oval port setup so the only thing im not familiar with is the porting, but I have a buddy that can do it. I did pretty much everything myself as well.

Back